You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-01 10:00:15

blahagun

Screen freezes after logging out from GNOME and GDM trying to start.

I did a fresh install of the latest Arch Linux. Installed GNOME and GDM, enabled GDM from systemctl enable gdm.service and everything was working fine. When booting up the system I was presented with a login prompt by GDM, was able to successfully login to GNOME and then logout back to GDM. Today while running GNOME I did systemctl stop gdm.service in a text tty while GNOME was running and it acted up strange. It kind of stopped but was apparently buggy. When I restarted the machine GDM was working, I was able to login to GNOME but upon logout there was a black screen with only the mouse pointer visible. Neither the mouse nor the keyboard was working on that screen. I wasn't unable to switch to another tty to kill the frozen process but was able to SSH. From there systemctl stop gdm.service wasn't working so I had to manually kill gdm-wayland-session and I was finally been able to use the tty on the machine.

I need to point out that I am relatively new to Arch Linux. I am not sure what exactly caused the issue. The only non typical thing I did was systemctl stop gdm.service while GNOME was running. I wasn't installing/uninstalling applications before that. After my fresh installation the system was working perfect.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by blahagun (2015-12-01 10:04:00)

#2 2015-12-01 11:00:27

Ropid

Re: Screen freezes after logging out from GNOME and GDM trying to start.

GDM runs as a user "gdm" and that user has its own home in "/var/lib/gdm". It looks a bit like a normal user in there. There's a ".cache" folder and ".config" and ".local". Perhaps something in there is now changed and causing this problem? I'd try to delete "/var/lib/gdm" and then do "pacman -S gdm" to have it recreated.

#3 2015-12-01 11:09:00

blahagun

Ropid wrote:

GDM runs as a user "gdm" and that user has its own home in "/var/lib/gdm". It looks a bit like a normal user in there. There's a ".cache" folder and ".config" and ".local". Perhaps something in there is now changed and causing this problem? I'd try to delete "/var/lib/gdm" and then do "pacman -S gdm" to have it recreated.

Tried all of that. Still the same error. For now I have added WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf and is working fine. Still would like to resolve the problem for Wayland.

#4 2016-01-31 12:05:45

leeking

blahagun wrote:
Ropid wrote:

Tried all of that. Still the same error. For now I have added WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf and is working fine. Still would like to resolve the problem for Wayland.

WaylandEnable=false works for me too, and the change takes effect after a reboot(reload gdm?)

#5 2016-04-07 17:04:09

Mechanix

I can confirm this bug. The described fix worked for me too. Thank you

Board footer