You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-04 17:50:58

Algor88

How to request a package for official repository[nvidia]?

Hi,
As far as i know normaly a package get into the official repository after being upvoted in aur.
But is there a (proper) different way to request a package?

The Situation is like this:
The nvidia package in Extra seems to be the nvidia driver marked as beta from nvidia.
There is a nvidia-lts package that is the non beta nvidia driver and also requieres linux-lts.
There is no nvidia package for the long-lived branch in the official repositories.

Reason to have different packages:
Because of regressions in the nvidia driver(>352.xx) some poeple have issues with the display resolution(see Nvidia Forum).
There has been a bug report for the issue in archlinux requesting a package with version 352.xx(no the solution in the comments doesn't fix the issue). The Bug got closed because it is an upstream issue.
But adding a nvidia package for the long-lived branch would help those poeple. (There is a nvidia-352 package in Aur that can be used for this, but that also makes upgrading the system a bit difficult and is not realy the long-lived branch)

I would like to see the 3 different nvidia branches as 3 different packages for the linux package.
How can a request a change like this? A request through bug report doesn't seem to be the right way.

#2 2016-02-06 01:23:44

Lone_Wolf

Re: How to request a package for official repository[nvidia]?

AL has had 3x nvidia driver versions for a while now, each has 2 versions :1 for the stock kernel and 1 for the lts kernel .

361.18 (the lts versions seems to be out-of-date )
340.xx
304.xx

The main reason for those 3 versions is the difference in the cards they support.

Does 352.xx support the same cards as 361.xx ?

If you search the archives for arch-dev-public ML , you'll prob find out why we didn't stay on 352.xx .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-02-06 13:26:47

Algor88

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Does 352.xx support the same cards as 361.xx ?

Yes, Nvidia still adds support for new Cards into theire long-lived branch(currently v352.xx).
I know there are legacy drivers to support older cards in the official repositories, but i don't speak about them.

My Question is different. For the linux package there is for newer cards only the beta driver from Nvidia(currently v316.xx).
The lts version isn't outdated it is just the stable nvidia driver(currently v358.xx) and is used if you want a good tested environment.

I would like to see a package for each nvidia branch and not only for the beta driver in the official repositories supporting the linux package and not one for linux and one for linux-lts(the long-lived branch isn't in there at all)...

#4 2016-02-06 13:33:52

Algor88

But the main question is still how i would request a change like this in a proper way. If it is done, is a different question. I have carefully read the wiki, but i couldn't find anything about that. The only thing i know is that writing a bug report is wrong.

#5 2016-02-06 14:06:00

Lone_Wolf

Check nvidia-lts again, it's been updated to 361.18 .
If you look at changes list for nvidia and nvidia-lts,you'll notice that they normally use the same upstream version.
It was just a coincidence that nvidia-lts lagged a bit and APPEARED to be following nvidia stable.

Adding the long-lived 352 & stable 358 versions would mean 4 extra packages to maintain .

You can try convincing the devs to add those versions, but you'll have to give good technical reasons for that.

Algor88 wrote:

is used if you want a good tested environment.

Even though AL has been very stable in my 10+ years of using it,i wouldn't advise it to  anyone looking for "a good tested environment" .
If that's what you want, you probably should look at other distros like debian stable, CentOS ,RHEL , SLES .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2016-02-06 14:28:53

Algor88

Lone_Wolf wrote:

If that's what you want, you probably should look at other distros like debian stable, CentOS ,RHEL , SLES .

No it is not what i want. I like to have all the brand new kernel and stuff and i know that this sometimes means that something is not working as expected.
But atleast for graphiccards there should be a fallback, because of regressions. E.g. for libreoffice there are two packages libreoffice-still(stable) and libreoffice-fresh(beta). Why not for driver?

I expect Nvidia to only change the version of long-lived branch if they are sure that all known regressions are fixed in the newer version. To have acces to that branch in the official repo would help everyone who has problems with regressions in general.

#7 2016-02-06 19:07:05

Svenstaro
Administrator

The reason we sometimes update the nvidia packages to beta versions is that sometimes the beta versions are necessary because of bugs or incompatibilities. Obviously we know about the possibility of new bugs in the betas but sometimes it is necessary to take that risk.

#8 2017-05-07 23:53:18

hedgepigdaniel

I made some packages in the AUR (based on the nvidia-beta packages), search for nvidia llb

#9 2017-05-08 09:58:02

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer