You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-30 11:27:16

PeteMo
Website

perl Audio::CD pkgbuild version question

I am developing a cd player application in perl that uses the Audio::CD module.  In doing so, I realized that the version of the module available on CPAN is 0.04, while debian based distributions have version 0.05 in their repos.  Version 0.05 has some very useful added functionality that I use in my program.

In communicating with the debian maintainer of the package, it seems that what has happened is that somewhere along the line a debian developer added the new functionality into the Audio::CD module, but the original developer did not want to incorporate these changes.  So, CPAN has one version, debian another. 

I've written a pkgbuild (below, please comment as I have not written many) that builds the module from the debian sources.  I would like to make my pkgbuild available via the aur, however, it seems that someone has recently released a pkgbuild for version 0.04 of the module.  (Search for audio-cd)

How should I handle this?  I don't think it is appropriate to flag the 0.04 version as out of date, as it is the newest official version.  Should I change the name of my version to "perl-audio-cd-deb"?

# Contributor: Peter Morris [pete.morris_AT_gmail.com]
pkgname=perl-audio-cd
pkgver=0.05
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Perl interface to libcdaudio (cd + cddb)"
url="http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/audio-cd.html"
depends=('perl' 'libcdaudio')

source=(http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/audio-cd/audio-cd_$pkgver.orig.tar.gz)
md5sums=('9f4a58c584819b6a30ecf20dcede452c')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/audio-cd-$pkgver.orig
  perl Makefile.PL
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
  mv $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/?.?.? $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current
  rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/perl5/?.?.?
}

#2 2006-04-30 11:45:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: perl Audio::CD pkgbuild version question

A name change will be sufficient. Make sure to put the explanation above in your submission comment, and add the following lines to the PKGBUILD to avoid clashing with the standard version:

conflicts=('perl-audio-cd')
provides=('perl-audio-cd')

#3 2006-04-30 13:17:46

PeteMo
Website

Re: perl Audio::CD pkgbuild version question

Thanks tomk.  I'll add it to the aur shortly.

Board footer