You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-30 13:06:14

john_nash

Help needed with Arch Build System

Hi there,

I'm rather new to linux (migrated from windows to gentoo for some four month ago) and I've just discovered Archlinux some days ago.

I have installed it in no time on my Desktop machine (the gentoo training helped a little bit and I still have gentoo on my Sony Vaio) and was really impressed with this very light and neat distribution that seems ideal to me because it offers the possibility of building from source as well as instaling binaries (that by the way seems very well optimized for a 686 machine). Everything seems working perfectly and now I would very much use some help from you gurus in perfecting the job.

First it would be nice if someone could possibly give me an example of how to  build and install (with pacman) a package from cvs source. Mplayer would be a good start for me (or maybe just give me a link). I have read the wiki on ABS at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS but if anyone here has compiled mplayer with all the options enabled (like x264,real etc) I would very much like to see the pkgbuild file as well as how to organize a ABS tree to begin with.

Second I'm not so sure where to install the new packages I compile. I have managed to compile openlibraries and mlt and mlt++ needed in order to install jahshaka (video editor) and it seems that the libraries have as default path /usr/local. Would it be a good idea to install in /usr (cause it seems all the libraries in archlinux are installed in /usr/lib?

Thank you

#2 2006-04-30 13:21:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Help needed with Arch Build System

john_nash wrote:

First it would be nice if someone could possibly give me an example of how to  build and install (with pacman) a package from cvs source.

There's a wiki page all about that here.

john_nash wrote:

Mplayer would be a good start for me (or maybe just give me a link). I have read the wiki on ABS at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS but if anyone here has compiled mplayer with all the options enabled (like x264,real etc) I would very much like to see the pkgbuild file

I take it you haven't discovered the AUR yet - there's an mplayer-cvs PKGBUILD there.

john_nash wrote:

as well as how to organize a ABS tree to begin with.

It's on the ABS wiki page - really wink . Have another look.

john_nash wrote:

Second I'm not so sure where to install the new packages I compile. I have managed to compile openlibraries and mlt and mlt++ needed in order to install jahshaka (video editor) and it seems that the libraries have as default path /usr/local. Would it be a good idea to install in /usr (cause it seems all the libraries in archlinux are installed in /usr/lib?

Yeah, most things go in /usr - the packaging standards are here.

Have fun. big_smile

Board footer