You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-16 07:11:25

allencch

[Solved] Resume from hibernation inconsistent for Dell Vostro 5459

I have a problem when resuming from hibernation. Sometimes work fine, but most of the time it freeze before the display manager.

I tried to remove the "quiet" from the kernel parameter, but doesn't show anything.

The symptom is, there is a cursor blinking, like usually waiting to run the display manager. But around 1 minute later, the cursor does not blink anymore. Keyboard or mouse help nothing.

Reboot, then run the "journalctl -xb -1" shows the previous success boot, not the one failed when resuming from hibernation.

Tried to use linux-lts, it did not work also.

Does anyone have idea what is the possible solution?

Last edited by allencch (2017-03-11 12:54:20)

#2 2016-02-16 07:14:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] Resume from hibernation inconsistent for Dell Vostro 5459

Remove the display manager and see if that changes anything.

Also, try SSH'ing in when it is frozen to retrieve logs that way.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-02-20 13:19:41

allencch

@jasonwryan

I tried to disable the lightdm, and used the "systemd hibernate" in the TTY. It seems work fine, but I tested once only. So, I reboot, and start with lightdm, and run the Xfce4. Then when I wanted to hibernate, I switched to TTY2. Then from the TTY2, I used the "systemd hibernate".

And when I resume, it works fine, and resumed to the TTY2. And I can switch to the TTY7 for the Xfce4. Then after I finished my work, and wanted to hibernate again. I found that, all the other TTYs cannot work. All the other TTYs show the output as in the TTY2. They "look like" freeze, but I cannot confirm yet. Need to try to enter some command blindly.

I suspect it is related to nvidia. I will check for the dmesg next time.

#4 2016-02-23 10:59:40

allencch

When using systemctl hibernate from another TTY, then resume, then the X windows workable. But after some time, switched to the TTY, TTY "looks" freeze. But I can run the "systemctl hibernate" again from the TTY. Then resume 2nd time, this time is totally freeze. Cannot blindly enter any command.

I tried to switch to uswsusp, but freeze also.

Cannot check with dmesg, because it is freeze. SSH server is not running either.

#5 2016-03-23 18:59:35

firekage

I have similar behaviour on my desktop machine with Arch 64 bit, KDE, SDDM. It goes to suspend without problems, but resume from hibernation (suspend to disk) always fails. I can't check logs because i don't have anything exept when Arch was booted and worked fine till resume from hibernation. Cursor blinks, nothing works, cant swtich to tty, only reset. I have this on all kernels. I've been fighting with this since i bought an Skylake and Z170 platform...previous Haswell had the same problem for about 1.5 year till bios was relased...but for Z170 i checked six bioses...nothing so far - it must be something in kernel...

What is more strange, and funny - suspend to RAM works always, whenever i want, how many i want...suspend to disk fails often. I thing that it is something related to this:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44807

It works when i just boot, suspend to disk, resume from suspend to disk. I do something...suspend, resume - black screen, blinking cursor, no display, have to reset.

Last edited by firekage (2016-03-23 19:03:38)

#6 2017-03-11 12:57:49

allencch

This is an old post. But just found that it seems like being solved since few days ago. Though I tested once only with hibernation and it success.

The symptom is, every time shutting down will display the systemd messages (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="", no "quiet"). However, previously, shutting down only shows the blank black screen.

P/S:
I am now using linux-lts 4.9.13-1 and nvidia-dkms 378.13-2

Last edited by allencch (2017-03-11 13:02:04)

Board footer