You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-22 09:22:44

ayekat

[radvd] Why is radvd.conf.example installed as radvd.conf?

It's a question about a PKGBUILD in extra, so I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but here goes...

I just installed the radvd package from extra, and I noticed that /etc/radvd.conf starts with this comment followed by an example configuration:

#
# NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE 
# NOTE                                                             NOTE
# NOTE  This is an EXAMPLE, which serves only to demonstrate the   NOTE
# NOTE  syntax of radvd.conf, and is not meant to be used for a    NOTE
# NOTE  real radvd configuration.                                  NOTE
# NOTE                                                             NOTE
# NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE 
#

I'm probably going to rename this file to something like `radvd.conf.backup` or `radvd.conf.example`, because the content is going to be entirely replaced by my own configuration.

Nevertheless, it felt a little awkward to have an example configuration file installed as a non-example configuration file, so I took a look at the PKGBUILD, and effectively saw this:

install -D -m 644 radvd.conf.example "$pkgdir/etc/radvd.conf"

I guess there is a particular reason to do this, but I don't really see it. I first thought that this way the user gets notified by a change in the configuration file syntax/structure during a package upgrade (.pacnew and a warning), but then there are also packages that install the example files as such (or in /usr/share/doc).

Could someone enlighten me?

Last edited by ayekat (2016-02-24 10:25:56)

pkgshackscfgblag

#2 2016-02-22 11:10:59

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [radvd] Why is radvd.conf.example installed as radvd.conf?

You would be better off opening a "general gripe" bug report, or contacting the maintainer directly.

It's possible that the example file didn't contain that warning when the package was first created.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-02-22 11:27:12

ayekat

Re: [radvd] Why is radvd.conf.example installed as radvd.conf?

OK, thanks, I've opened FS#48297.

EDIT I was told that it wasn't the right place. But still waiting for a more thorough answer...

Last edited by ayekat (2016-02-24 10:26:38)

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer