You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-22 09:44:16

Airon90
Website

GNOME Unstable on AUR/a repo

Hi,
I'm sorry if my post  is in a wrong place but I'm unsure about the correctness of my choice.

I'd like to test the latest version of GNOME (I see some video about development of next version, 3.20) but I don't find any guide about it.
Is there a AUR package or a repo in order to install it? I discovered the existence of [gnome-unstable] but it is not updated.

Thank you very much

#2 2016-02-22 11:40:31

Awebb

Re: GNOME Unstable on AUR/a repo

You could take the normal gnome PKGBUILD files for gnome from ABS and update them.

#3 2016-02-22 14:45:49

metak

There's the unofficial gnome-devel repo if you're interested.

http://softwareperonista.com.ar/

#4 2016-02-23 11:09:15

Airon90
Website

Awebb wrote:

You could take the normal gnome PKGBUILD files for gnome from ABS and update them.

So you are telling me to do this work by my own. Ok, I'll accept it.

metak wrote:

I tried it but I could solve the problem with keys.

Thank you very much to both!

EDIT: However you didn't answer to my implicit question: why [gnome-unstable] isn't updated to latest version of GNOME?

Last edited by Airon90 (2016-02-23 11:10:03)

#5 2016-02-23 12:22:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Airon90 wrote:

So you are telling me to do this work by my own.

No, personally I think Awebb should do it for you.  Jesus Awebb, what are you thinking, telling someone how to make one little change to a number in a PKGBUILD in order to get the PKGBUILD they want.  You really should make that revision, build the package, put it on a flash drive, bring it to Airon's home, break in in the middle of the night, and install it on his computer.

Airon90 wrote:

you didn't answer to my implicit question: why [gnome-unstable] isn't updated to latest version of GNOME?

No, they didn't, because you never asked it.  You still haven't technically, but I don't want you to have to do that work on your own, so I'll provide some response: you'd have to ask the people who maintain gnome-unstable.

Edit: I've learned in searching that I don't really know the status of gnome-unstable.  It is not listed anywhere in the wiki page of unofficial user repositories, so I thought it was some far-off third party thing.  But I found that it is hosted on all the same mirrors as the official repos (but is also not in the official repos wiki page).  It looks like it was maintained by an archlinux dev.  Other searching suggests that it may have just been for the transition to gnome 3.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-02-23 13:00:41

Awebb

Airon90 wrote:

So you are telling me to do this work by my own. Ok, I'll accept it.

However you didn't answer to my implicit question: why [gnome-unstable] isn't updated to latest version of GNOME?

You answered your own question. This might be your chance to become the spearhead of Arch's GNOME community.

Trilby wrote:

No, personally I think Awebb should do it for you.  Jesus Awebb, what are you thinking, telling someone how to make one little change to a number in a PKGBUILD in order to get the PKGBUILD they want.  You really should make that revision, build the package, put it on a flash drive, bring it to Airon's home, break in in the middle of the night, and install it on his computer.

*random "and this, children, is how I met your mother" joke*

#7 2016-02-23 13:36:30

metak

Airon90 wrote:
metak wrote:

I tried it but I could solve the problem with keys.

Thank you very much to both!

EDIT: However you didn't answer to my implicit question: why [gnome-unstable] isn't updated to latest version of GNOME?

As far as I know, [gnome-unstable] was/is still? used to package gnome when it's at RC (release candidate) stage and later final version before moving it to [testing]. That unofficial repo I posted above however packages alpha and beta versions, so if you know what you're doing and want to play with it add these lines to pacman.conf:

[gnome-devel]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://softwareperonista.com.ar/repo/archlinux/gnome-devel/$arch

#8 2016-02-23 19:19:50

Airon90
Website

Trilby wrote:

You misunderstood my sentence. Maybe there is already a repo with that work done.

Trilby wrote:

No, they didn't, because you never asked it.  You still haven't technically, but I don't want you to have to do that work on your own, so I'll provide some response: you'd have to ask the people who maintain gnome-unstable.

Ok, thank you for your answer. Now how can I find who's the maintainer(s) of [gnome-unstable]?

Trilby wrote:

Edit: I've learned in searching that I don't really know the status of gnome-unstable.  It is not listed anywhere in the wiki page of unofficial user repositories, so I thought it was some far-off third party thing.  But I found that it is hosted on all the same mirrors as the official repos (but is also not in the official repos wiki page).  It looks like it was maintained by an archlinux dev.  Other searching suggests that it may have just been for the transition to gnome 3.

That's why I asked the community if someone knows something about [gnome-unstable].
Another similar repo is [kde-unstable]. I fear that it was then created for KDE5.

metak wrote:

As far as I know, [gnome-unstable] was/is still? used to package gnome when it's at RC (release candidate) stage and later final version before moving it to [testing]. That unofficial repo I posted above however packages alpha and beta versions, so if you know what you're doing and want to play with it add these lines to pacman.conf [...]

Thank you very much for your answer! I'll update the GNOME page on the wiki smile
This post can be closed.

Board footer