You are not logged in.

#2351 2016-01-09 15:43:32

mhertz

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

Damn, I had so high hopes, but nope...

However, i'm thinking that maybe i'm misunderstanding something...

Do you guys have any other suggestions of what to do when reading this from a webkitgtk2 arch bugreport: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/45067

Description:

Update to version 2.4.9-1 crashes browsers, namely dwb. Downgrade to 2.4.8-2 fixes the issue. This issue occurs on both multiple machines with different browser configurations.

And the "fix" later on:

luakit works out of the box

I compiled dwb using -Os -march=i686 -mtune=i686 (-O1/ -O2/ -O3 crash)

It is the second packages that I use the same workarond

Maybe due line 41 on https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … /webkitgtk ?

I then just changed the 'sed' line in the pkgbuild's line 41, from '-O1' to '-Os', but are there any other things you could please suggest to do(edit makefile?)...

Thanks!

#2352 2016-01-09 23:38:10

mhertz

God, how I feel like an idiot now, lol smile I've runned dwb with an older webkit for over 6 months and couldn't find the issue, and after I once long ago read about the adblocker being the culprit, then I tried it, but for some reason didn't have effect then, but dwb works now for me with all recent packages including webkitgtk2 and the fix was simply to disable adblocking! I figured before testing other compile options for webkitgtk2 etc(building that took 4 hours!), then I as a stretch would just first try running with a clean profile to test and bam, worked!

On one side, i'm really happy about finally finding the issue and working around it, but also i'm not happy about living without adblocker... Now i'll have to use other means like hosts blocking or privoxy etc...

#2353 2016-01-09 23:57:03

mhertz

Not very long lasting happiness, lol! smile I get crashes way more often than before with older webkitgtk2, and without "native" adblocking additionally, so now i've landed permanently on either firefox/pentadactyl or chromium/cvim, unfortunetelly! sad

Thank you for 4 good years dwb(portix)! smile

Last edited by mhertz (2016-01-10 22:47:20)

#2354 2016-01-10 13:56:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

In case anyone is wondering where some posts went, I extracted a handful of unproductive posts and the responses to them and moved them to the dustbin.  This exasperated the appearance of mhertz talking to himself as his useful posts were interspersed with the nonsense.

On the other hand mhertz, there still were several cases where you chould have used  the 'edit' button to add new information to your existing last post rather than creating a new one.  Please consider that option in the future.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#2355 2016-01-10 14:57:07

mhertz

Thank you kindly, trilby! I apologise for the non-editing rudeness(Sorry!) and it won't happen again! I wish there where a default option in the board software to display new-post-notifications also for edited content(or a code to add to the edit, to solicit a new post-notification), as I hate at othertimes if adding something, and then maybe the majority dosen't see it. Still no excuse of course and thanks for the correction! smile

#2356 2016-02-24 08:30:28

ondoho
Website

i like to use dwb on this little-used netbook (i686, intel atom processor).

i've been having the crashing problems described earlier; i think changing to the git version helped.

dwb is still running reasonably well.
i wanted to try and update it - it is on 2015.05.24.g5134b57-1, and according to aur it looks like i can update to 2015.07.26.gdda5aa7-1.
but i keep getting a compile error which i haven't seen mentioned anywhere in this thread (at least not the last few pages):

scripts/cl_gobject.c: In function ‘gobject_disconnect’:
scripts/cl_gobject.c:488:5: error: non-floating-point argument in call to function ‘__builtin_isnan’
     if (!isnan(id))
     ^
Makefile:44: recipe for target 'scripts/cl_gobject.o' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/cl_gobject.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/yaourt/aur-dwb-git/src/dwb/src'
Makefile:17: recipe for target 'src.subdir-make' failed
make: *** [src.subdir-make] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build dwb-git.

i have no clue what's happening there.
should i even bother to attempt the upgrade?

dwb is the only acceptable alternative on this old netbook, but i haven't yet looked so much into other minimalistic ui webkit frontends.
i guess i will look at some mentioned in this thread, esp. those without ui toolkit dependencies.

#2357 2016-02-24 13:41:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ondoho wrote:

Leaving directory '/tmp/yaourt/aur-dwb-git/src/dwb/src' ...

I think the answer is in bold.  Build with makepkg, and not under tmp.

ondoho wrote:

dwb is the only acceptable alternative on this old netbook, but i haven't yet looked so much into other minimalistic ui webkit frontends.

How do you know it's the only acceptable one if you haven't looked into others?  Qutebrowser seems to be (one of) the most actively maintained browser in this class at the moment.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#2358 2016-02-24 18:13:32

sekret

The big problem with dwb is its dependency on webkitgtk, which is unmaintained, full of security issues. I loved dwb, but unfortunately this alone is a deal breaker, let alone those crashes all the time...

The only minimal webkit browsers that use the up-to-date webkit2gtk are epiphany from [extra], lariza and the webkit2gtk branch of surf (which is currently being discussed to become the default rendering engine, as soon as this happens I'll remove this package). I highly recommend you @ondoho to check them out. Lariza and Surf are much more minimal than dwb and epiphany, just so you aren't shocked wink

#2359 2016-04-09 11:56:16

ondoho
Website

thanks for the various browser tips.

Trilby wrote:
ondoho wrote:

Leaving directory '/tmp/yaourt/aur-dwb-git/src/dwb/src' ...

I think the answer is in bold.  Build with makepkg, and not under tmp.

ondoho wrote:

How do you know it's the only acceptable one if you haven't looked into others?  Qutebrowser seems to be (one of) the most actively maintained browser in this class at the moment.

trying again, dwb-git compiled nicely both on my main desktop as well as on my netbook, and in each case both with makepkg and with yaourt.
and it runs and hasn't crashed yet either, so maybe i can go on using it for a while.

#2360 2016-04-14 07:13:20

lino

Hello everyone,

I'm using dwb for quite some weeks now, thanks a LOT for this nearly perfect browser.
Anyways, I've encountered some issue I could not find here in the forums.

Since yesterday, I'm having trouble with some ssl pages; this sudomain (bbs.archlinux.org) for example does not load, instead it says:

Unable to load page

Problem occurred while loading the URL https://bbs.archlinux.org/

SSL handshake failed

And on stderr I get:

(dwb:2056): libsoup-CRITICAL **: async_send_request_return_result: assertion 'item->task != NULL' failed

But any other *.archlinux.org domain loads just fine.

Same problem with google and random other domains.

  dwb -V
This is : dwb-git
Version : commit 2016-03-21 7fb82bc
Built : Apr  6 2016 13:52:44
Copyright : (C) 2010-2014 Stefan Bolte
License : GNU General Public License, version 3 or later
GTK+ : 2.24.30
WebKitGTK+ : 2.4.10
LibSoup : 2.52.2
cairo : 1.14.6

I'm all out of ideas, what can I do?

EDIT:
Whe I use a fresh profile with `dwb -t` everything works as it shoud.

Last edited by lino (2016-04-14 09:23:57)

»A keystroke is worth a thousand clicks«

Board footer