You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-24 13:47:37

emak

Remove Package from Pacman DB without uninstalling

Hi

What is the best way if I installed a package from AUR and it's only on version x but as soon as I start the program and connect it to the server it autoupdates and so it runs on newest version now but it is still listed as version x in pacman.

Should I use the IgnorePkg option in pacman or is there a way to remove the package from Pacman's DB without touching the actual installation?

Thanks for any "best practice".

#2 2016-02-24 13:54:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Remove Package from Pacman DB without uninstalling

This doesn't make any sense.  Are you running this program as root?  What is the program?  Does it actually update the program, or does it download accessory data (if it's a game, it's almost certainly only the latter).

IgnorePkg isn't relevant.  That will preven pacman from updating a package, but this is an AUR package, so pacman wouldn't update it.

The best practice would be to not mix package management tools: either use makepkg/pacman for this, or use the programs own installer/updater.  Don't use both.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-02-24 13:59:30

emak

It is crashplan-proe from AUR. I agree that it is best not to mix installer. Therefore is there a way to remove the installed package from the AUR Database but leave the existing installation as it is or do I have to do remove everything and start with the delivered installer script instead of using pacaur?

#4 2016-02-24 14:01:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Trilby wrote:

Are you running this program as root?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-02-24 14:10:43

emak

Sorry, yes it has to be started as root in order to backup not only the /home files.

#6 2016-02-24 14:18:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Then yes, I think your (second) best option would be to remove it and install/update it only through it's own tools.

The best option would not be to use such a dangerous tool.  There is no reason that a backup tool should need root access in order to backup files outside of /home.  It would need root access to overwrite your files outside of home - this is why I asked, as it would need root access to update itself.

But a java based, web-connected, data-transferring tool that is expected to be run with root access seems like a very bad idea to me (I had a few colorful metaphors, but they'd need to be a little to 'colorful' for the forums to really capture how I'd see this).

#7 2016-02-24 14:26:49

emak

big_smile
I fully understand your concerns and maybe I'll switch back to backintime but I wanted to give it a try. Thank you anyway for the laugh.

#8 2016-02-24 15:23:20

olive

Trilby wrote:

Then yes, I think your (second) best option would be to remove it and install/update it only through it's own tools.

The best option would not be to use such a dangerous tool.  There is no reason that a backup tool should need root access in order to backup files outside of /home.  It would need root access to overwrite your files outside of home - this is why I asked, as it would need root access to update itself.

I suppose the tool need to make a full backup, some files are only readable by root. I usually use rsync for my backup but I do need to run it as root because I want to backup every file so that the full system can be restored. Only root can read every files.

#9 2016-02-24 15:39:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

True - but that was not the only thing that looked fishy about this tool to me.

#10 2016-02-24 16:09:03

ayekat

Trilby wrote:

True - but that was not the only think that looked fishy about this tool to me.

I was mostly amused by the "enterprise edition" in the package description...

@OP, I would at least make sure that you install that obscure software to /usr/local, to avoid conflicts with pacman.

pkgshackscfgblag

#11 2016-02-25 10:17:00

emak

ayekat wrote:

@OP, I would at least make sure that you install that obscure software to /usr/local, to avoid conflicts with pacman.

I uninstalled it via pacman and then manually installed it to /opt and it seems to run fine so far (after having created the systemd script and set a higher inotify value).

You are right about root acess for some files - else it can't save them but Trilby was also right about spooky software smile I give it a try now and we'll see.

#12 2016-02-25 10:43:21

Allan
Pacman
Website

I am not going to reiterate how bad this is....   but look at the pacman man page.

Board footer