You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-02 20:37:59

medman826

X220 (and other laptops) Trackpoint Drift

I've been noticing an issue on my X220 exactly as described here. For a long time I was only searching for solutions specific to Arch, so I never found that post until today. Has anyone else found this well known and apparently unsolvable problem annoying? Has anyone fixed it with a script or program of their own design?

Thanks!

#2 2016-03-02 21:22:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: X220 (and other laptops) Trackpoint Drift

I'm a longtime IBM/Lenovo user (of various models), and while I've experienced trackpoint drift from time to time, it's most definitely never been to zero-point callibration as suggested in that link.  For me the solution is always quite simple: pull off the trackpoint cap and blow out any crud in the cap or around the stick, then put the cap back on.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-03-02 22:18:06

medman826

Re: X220 (and other laptops) Trackpoint Drift

In my case it is most definitely a zero-point calibration issue. I can perfectly reproduce the issue by doing the following:
1. Hold the trackpoint down in a particular direction for about a second such that the mouse is moving at a constant speed and in a constant direction the whole time.
2. See it stop moving even though I am still holding in that direction on the trackpoint.
3. Let go of the trackpoint and watch it move the opposite direction at the same speed I was moving it for about a second until it re-calibrates.

I am 100% certain that my issue is not related to crud on the trackpoint stick.

Board footer