You are not logged in.

#251 2016-03-03 20:37:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I also confirm 100% CPU use on that page in qutebrowser, but there was no noticeable effect with firefox or opera (slight increase in CPU use with opera, but not enough to know if was a coincidence).  However, I did see a substantial CPU spike on that page also with surf - not to 100% but to 50-60% and it seemed to bounce between cores (while qutebrowser seemed to have a single thread spike on one core).

So whatever it is seems to be webkit related, but particularly bad in qutebrowser.

Poor crippled old webkit, when will google put you out of your misery (I'm looking forward to qtWebEngine here).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#252 2016-03-03 22:12:27

bstaletic

That site works for me with js disabled.

#253 2016-03-04 14:23:58

Docbroke

same high cpu usage with this site also,
http://hawaiios.org/

#254 2016-03-23 22:20:12

The Compiler
Website

First of all, sorry for not replying to all your posts earlier - I read this thread via the RSS feed, and I'm currently drowning in stuff I'd read but don't have the time to...

Issues like the one with the high CPU usage are indeed almost always caused by QtWebKit, which is a buggy mess getting dated.

QtWebEngine (which is based on Chromium) will solve hopefully solve all those issues. Since adding support for it is a lot more work than I initially anticipated, I launched a crowdfunding campaign today with the goal of working full-time on qutebrowser for a month or two. It's looking very good so far, but I'd appreciate your help so I definitely can make this two months rather than one month wink

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#255 2016-03-26 03:19:38

NoSuck
Website

I have disabled the topic display in weechat, so I was lucky to hear about this on the mailing list.  The crowd-funding campaign comes with good timing.  Good luck.

Last edited by NoSuck (2016-03-26 03:25:03)

#256 2016-03-28 13:43:07

luckrn

Hi everybody. I always use Qutebrowser - at home - at work. Great !!
I have a question about the status bar : i want to write in it the proxy status (none or http://xxx) and the javascript status (on/off). Is it possible ? Thanks
Sorry for my poor english...

Last edited by luckrn (2016-03-28 13:48:53)

#257 2016-03-28 19:32:22

The Compiler
Website

luckrn wrote:

Hi everybody. I always use Qutebrowser - at home - at work. Great !!
I have a question about the status bar : i want to write in it the proxy status (none or http://xxx) and the javascript status (on/off). Is it possible ? Thanks
Sorry for my poor english...

Don't worry, your English is certainly better than my French! big_smile

At the moment, that's not possible. After I looked at QtWebEngine support I'll look at per-domain settings though, and then I plan to add something like that, as it'd certainly be very useful for a per-domain javascript status. However, it'll probably only work for boolean (on/off) options for now. For more complex things, you might need to wait for plugin support and then write a (very small) plugin.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#258 2016-04-03 22:22:24

stupidus

Is it possible to delete the history and cookies when closing the browser? It seems to me that the easiest way would be a bash script that clears the history, cookies and  cmd-history files, but how do I get that script to execute when closing the browser?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I just start qutebrowser via the following script:

#!/bin/bash

function finish {
    echo > ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history
    echo > ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/cmd-history
    echo > ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/cookies
}

qutebrowser

trap finish EXIT

Last edited by stupidus (2016-04-03 22:31:37)

#259 2016-04-04 00:45:17

navi_se

It is not enough to do

:set general auto-save-config false
:set private-browsing true

?

Note, you can look up command and documentation settings by doing :help or by tabbing away after doing :set ...

PS: Did my part on the funding campaign and spreading the word. Keep up the good work extraordinary work, The-Compiler.

Last edited by navi_se (2016-04-04 00:57:41)

#260 2016-04-04 00:55:14

Docbroke

:set general auto-save-config false

#261 2016-04-04 00:57:26

navi_se

Whoops, that. Fixed

#262 2016-04-04 07:21:11

stupidus

@navi_se: Those settings do not really do what I want. The auto-save-config only applies to settings, not history. And private-browsing prevents the history from being recorded at all. However, I like to have a history while I am using the browser. I just like to start with no history every time I close and re-open the browser.

#263 2016-04-12 11:13:12

Docbroke

ssl handshake fails everytime on this site

https://www.centralbank.net.in/

#264 2016-04-13 06:54:57

The Compiler
Website

So there are some posts here which I wanted to answer for a while, but never did... some from January. Better late than never I guess. Sorry for the delay!

Grus wrote:

Anyway, the browser crashes on certain sites like this and that one, with this output:

Fatal Python error: Floating point exception

[...]

This probably was this Qt bug which was fixed in Qt 5.6. As a workaround, uninstalling the Google Noto Emoji font (or any other emoji font) should work, but I guess it's too late now big_smile

Docbroke wrote:

I have found one error frequently with many sites

ERROR: Error while loading https://qutebrowser.org/CHANGELOG.html: SSL handshake failed

page appers on changing from https to http

I can't explain the SSL errors you're seeing, but I bet QtWebEngine support will solve them as well. They seem like either Qt or OpenSSL issues.

As for qutebrowser.org, I think I also messed up when generating the first let's encrypt certificate, and it wasn't actually valid for qutebrowser.org. That was fixed in the meantime too.

SataMaxx wrote:

- zotero : don't care actually, can fire up ff to deal with this usage
- stored password : maybe a form filler? Or simply a way to call keepass from the command line to set/save a login:password?
- stylish : it would be wonderful to be able to use per site user styles!
- I really like being able to open at once all the bookmarks from a folder. Would it be possible to have a switch on :quickmark-load to bg open all the matching links? (ex: :quickmark-load --all /comics/ would open all the quickmarks in the blogs/comics/ "folder")

I agree Zotero probably won't land in qutebrowser ever wink

As for storing passwords, there's the password_fill userscript which seems to work for most people. Once there's a plugin API one of the first plugins I'll write is KeePassX integration, definitely missing that myself as well.

Per-domain userstyles will be possible once there are per-domain settings, which will be my main focus after QtWebEngine support.

For the quickmark suggestion, I opened #1422.

Trilby wrote:

The Compiler, I'm not sure if this is a real bug or not and/or whether it'd be better on the github tracker.  Feel free to let me know.

I've encountered an odd behavior.  I have "last-close = default-page" in my configuration but there is an exception to that behavior where I can be left without a webview.  To replicate the issue:
1) open qutebrowser, press 'u' (or the undo binding), you will see a message along the lines of "nothing to undo" and in my case the "page" turns from my default-page dark background to white.
2) use a binding to open a quickmark.  In my case this is go1<enter> or go2<enter> etc - but I think the "g" was a binding I imported from other browsers and the default key was something else.  This will give an error saying that there is no webview available.

From what I can tell, the initial 'undo' undoes the creation of the initial webview.  So from there on, I can't do anything until a new webview is created.  This seems at odd with the purpose of last-close set to not remove the last webview.  I would expect that 'undo' right after opening would either do nothing, or alternatively, if it undoes the creation of the initial webview, then qutebrowser should treat this the same as closing the current webview and honor the last-close setting.

That indeed is a bug - I've seen some crash reports related to this but never really got what was going on, but now I could reproduce it! I opened #1423.

bstaletic wrote:

The Compiler,

I like the browser, but something is still keeping me from switching to it for daily usage.  Is there a way to theme it? I'd like a way to make all sites look dark. The way I did this with firefox is by using stylish plugin. How do i clear my hystory and cookies? And how to pass key presses to the web page for an intefinite amount of time/key presses?

As others already answered, you can set an user-stylesheet. An example a friend of mine uses:

::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 0px; height: 0px; }
html {
	-webkit-filter: invert();
	filter: invert();
}

img {
	-webkit-filter: invert();
	filter: invert();
}

body {
	color: #7d6b69 !important;
	background-color: #ffd4c9 !important;
}

To clear your history and cookies, you currently have to quit qutebrowser and edit/delete ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/{history,cookies}.

To pass keypresses, there's also passthrough mode you can enter with ctrl-v. It's almost identical to insert-mode, except with a few bindings less.

Docbroke wrote:

That's weird. With OpenSSL 1.0.2g on Arch it works fine for me, but with 1.0.1k on Debian I get "Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)".

Either way, looking at a Qualys SSL Server Test tells me you should really avoid doing e-banking there.

...okay, hopefully everything answered - if I missed somebody, please let me know!

Florian

File "<stdin>", line 1

#265 2016-04-13 07:50:37

Docbroke

The Compiler wrote:
Docbroke wrote:

That's weird. With OpenSSL 1.0.2g on Arch it works fine for me, but with 1.0.1k on Debian I get "Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)".

Either way, looking at a Qualys SSL Server Test tells me you should really avoid doing e-banking there.

...okay, hopefully everything answered - if I missed somebody, please let me know!

Florian

May be something is wrong in my setup, I am running fully updated arch, but SSL handshake fails consistently on that site.

> pacman -Q openssl
openssl 1.0.2.g-3

Anyway eagerly waiting for qtwebengine, hopefully that will solve all issues.

#266 2016-04-13 10:52:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I also see my previous question about Shift-Insert has been addressed as it now inserts from the primary selection.  This is awesome.  I'm not sure if this was your doing, or a qtwebkit revision, but I'll give you credit either way: thanks for the great work you continue to do on qutebrowser.

EDIT: and thanks to lahwaacz for apparently doing the impossible wink

Last edited by Trilby (2016-04-13 11:21:59)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#267 2016-04-13 11:15:15

The Compiler
Website

Trilby wrote:

I also see my previous question about Shift-Insert has been addressed as it now inserts from the primary selection.  This is awesome.  I'm not sure if this was your doing, or a qtwebkit revision, but I'll give you credit either way: thanks for the great work you continue to do on qutebrowser.

lahwaacz is the one to thank for that, see this pull request.

I didn't think it'd be possible to add a workaround, but he found a way to do the pasting via javascript smile

File "<stdin>", line 1

#268 2016-04-24 01:04:41

Ambrevar
Website

Is there such a feature as dwb's 'contenthandler'? Such a handler would run a script / function when a matching link is followed, e.g. magent, mailto, ftp, etc.

Or is there any other way to handle mailto and magnet links?

Last edited by Ambrevar (2016-04-24 01:05:25)

#269 2016-04-24 07:30:18

The Compiler
Website

Ambrevar wrote:

Is there such a feature as dwb's 'contenthandler'? Such a handler would run a script / function when a matching link is followed, e.g. magent, mailto, ftp, etc.

Or is there any other way to handle mailto and magnet links?

qutebrowser askes you "Open external application for magnet link?" when you open a link it can't handle, and if you press y, it'll use xdg-open to do so.

There's an issue open to make this configurable in qutebrowser too though, as configuring XDG can be a pain.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#270 2016-04-25 02:20:03

Ambrevar
Website

As far as I know, xdg cannot bind mime types to arbitrary commands, right? In which case I cannot add a magnet link to transmission-cli without creating a custom .dekstop file... Quite a pain indeed.
My current solution is to yank the magnet link and to paste manually in transmission-cli.

#271 2016-04-28 04:20:49

Grus

Would it be possible to open a certain type of link (for example https://www.youtube.com/* ) right away in another application instead of opening a tab in the browser? Currently I'm launching mpv with a keybinding, but it's annoying because you have to open the page, press the keybinding, and wait. I can't really seem to find a better way though, am I missing something obvious or is there currently no way to open links that match a certain string in another application without opening a new tab at all?

Last edited by Grus (2016-04-28 09:00:06)

#272 2016-04-28 06:25:28

The Compiler
Website

Grus wrote:

Would it be possible to open a certain type of link (for example https://www.youtube.com/*) right away in another application instead of opening a tab in the browser? Currently I'm launching mpv with a keybinding, but it's annoying because you have to open the page, press the keybinding, and wait. I can't really seem to find a better way though, am I missing something obvious or is there currently no way to open links that match a certain string in another application without opening a new tab at all?

That's not possible currently - this might be a good job for a plugin in the future, I added a line to that issue.

What you can do is bind hints though - :bind ;x hint links spawn mpv {hint-url} and you'll be able to do ;x and select a youtube-link via hints without opening it.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#273 2016-04-30 07:04:26

Grus

Oh cool, that's actually a great workaround. Thanks!

#274 2016-04-30 12:03:59

Docbroke

you may also use "hint links spawn youtube-dl {hint-url}" to download youtube video.

#275 2016-05-07 18:46:11

Lord Bo

Hi, I got a font-problem. Everywhere in the qute! browsers content the same sans-serif font is used. Any help apreciated! And by the way: Thank You for this wonderful browser, it's a great successor to dwb!

Board footer