You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-04 15:37:26

TiZ

[SOLVED] Second X server hangs on exit and renders system unusable

Hi, guys. I'm installing Arch Linux alongside Xubuntu once again, and have encountered an issue running my games.

I have a script that runs them in a second X server. So in order to be able to start them, I had to configure /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config with allowed_users = anybody. All fine and good. But I couldn't acquire the virtual console, so I had to retain root rights too. needs_root_rights = yes. So I was able to start my games. But the problem comes when I exit them.

When I exit, and when I'm supposed to go back to my desktop's X, instead the cursor disappears, the screen goes black, and my Ctrl+Alt+F* keys stop working. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work either. The system is entirely unusable.

I redirected my script's output to a file and saw these last few lines:

xinit: X server slow to shut down, sending KILL signal

waiting for server to die ...
xinit: X server refuses to die

How do I make this server die?

Last edited by TiZ (2016-03-06 01:41:55)

#2 2016-03-05 20:21:16

TiZ

Re: [SOLVED] Second X server hangs on exit and renders system unusable

I have more information.

I attempted reinstalling xf86-video-intel. No change. I attempted installing xf86-video-intel-git. Still no change. I attempted Alt+SysRq+R in order to switch VTs and still could not. REISUB works, but I can't switch VTs. I tried changing acceleration methods. The freeze happens on SNA and glamor, but not UXA. However, UXA causes a really bad performance hit so I'd rather not use it. Also, I notice that when starting a new X server and when the new X server closes, the screen turns off then on twice. Since the acceleration method makes a difference, I tried i915.semaphores=1. No change.

Hopefully this can help someone to help me.

#3 2016-03-05 20:25:15

headkase

Have you tried the exact instructions for a second server on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ga … e_X_server

If you are doing it the way you are accustomed to in Xubuntu then it might not work for Arch.

#4 2016-03-06 01:13:32

TiZ

I actually just did, in case there was something I didn't know about in regards to sharing VTs. I was sure that there's no way those instructions could possibly work; $XDG_VTNR is set to the VT of the currently running desktop. And indeed, it just fails with "No screens found" in the log when you try. So that article should be changed to remove that.

However, I tried the xrun script in the article linked to on the same page, and it did work even though its attempt to use fgconsole failed and thus tried to use "vt" as the vt. I investigated why and found out that exact thing was why it worked. At first I thought I had to just use any vt under 7, but that only worked half the time, and right now it seems like "vt" (which I guess autoselects vt2?) works. On Xubuntu, I can use any arbitrary VT without trouble, and I originally had my script set to use VT9.

So I decided to try enabling gettys for tty2-6 and 8-9 so I could use VT9 again. And it works! I've not had any hangs yet.

#5 2016-03-06 01:40:15

headkase

Right on, if it now works then edit your first post in this thread and pre-pend "[Solved]" to the title without quotes.  Also, you could be kind enough to help others who follow your path by correcting and elaborating the Wiki page.  wink

Last edited by headkase (2016-03-06 01:40:34)

#6 2016-03-06 01:42:40

TiZ

I knew I forgot something. I'll work on the wiki. Thanks for your help.

#7 2016-03-06 01:43:23

headkase

Awesome, you're welcome.  smile

Board footer