You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-01 00:02:39

desertViking

Wine basics

Hi,

I've installed Wine from extra.  I'm trying to run a couple of the setup programs, wine-config from sidenet, and I've tried a couple of other things. 

I've been able to kinda install IE6, but when I run winecfg or try to install other windoze programs, I get continual failures of the sort:

err:font:ReadFontDir Can't open directory "/usr/bin/../lib/../share/wine/fonts/"

What does this mean, and is it a big deal?  I'm unable to install any other programs at this point.

Thx in advance for the help!

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-05-01 02:43:32

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Wine basics

maybe try winetools in community?

#3 2006-05-03 14:01:34

desertViking

Hi,

Finally getting back to this.  The winetools looks like a good idea, and familiar to me.  I've done this before, but it's been awhile.

I downloaded them from AUR, and started from the top by creating a windows disk.  I'd already done this but thought working from scratch would be a good idea.

I asked to install the arial font set, but the tools were pointing at a non-existant sourceforge directory:

//puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/arial32.exe

So I just downloaded the .exe file from the right spot.
To install them I tried

wine ./arial32.exe

and it tried to install the fonts, but I got the following errorserr:font:ReadFontDir Can't open directory "/usr/bin/../lib/../share/wine/fonts/"
err:font:ReadFontDir Can't open directory "/usr/bin/../lib/../share/wine/fonts/"
I've had other problems with this directory, and it indeed does not exist (besides being a really wierd way to specify ./usr/share/wine/fonts).

How 'bout the fonts directory error?  Has anyone seen this before that can recommend a solution? 

Thx in avance.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#4 2006-05-04 02:17:15

byte

'pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts' ... and copy the .ttf files you need from /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/. I tend to ignore that /usr/share/wine/fonts error.

#5 2006-05-04 05:01:09

desertViking

I'm proceeding as you suggest, but I was wondering if putting the .TTF files in the /usr/hsare/wine/fonts would fix the error mesages?  Maybe needed in both places?

Thx for the help!

#6 2006-05-04 07:34:05

brain0
Developer

1) I also get that message and it doesn't seem to harm anything.
2) http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/ try this if you want to use IE. It also installs Flash 8 and works great.

Board footer