You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-19 18:46:18

JohnBobSmith

Quick question about self-solving posts [SOLVED]

Greetings,

I have a few posts where I ask a question here on the Arch boards, then with a little bit of further research and/or experimentation I am able to solve my problem. I always try and share that solution, so in hopes of making the topic as useful as possible for everyone. But, for whatever reason, I feel somewhat bad in posting a topic then self-solving it. I think that my anxiety comes from me not wanting to clutter the Arch board and waste everyone's time and effort. What I am wondering is that, do I have a bad habit that I need to stop, or does self-solving the post not matter because now we have a shared solution? I can't seem to find an offical policy on the topic (maybe it doesnt need one or I missed it?) but essentially I want to make sure I am being as useful to the community as possible with my posts. I hope that makes sense. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

I will be going for a lengthy walk now to deal with my real-life related anxieties. Happy hacking!

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-03-19 20:17:13)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#2 2016-03-19 18:52:01

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Quick question about self-solving posts [SOLVED]

If you mean opening a thread when you already have a solution, don't do it.

If you open a thread and then, five minutes later, solve it; then add the solution.

The former is unnecessary and just contributes to noise, the latter is an indication that you are probably posting before exhausting all options.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-03-19 19:04:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I have drafted far more new threads than I have ever posted here.  Very often, drafting a complete question itself leads me to the answer.  There have been times were I was "sure" that some information was irrelevant to the problem I was having, but I also knew that if I posted without that log/info someone would ask for it.  So I collect that log or that information, and I put it all together into a coherent post.  And by the time I do that, I've helped myself find the solution and I don't need to post the question.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with duing the proper dilligence before posting and still only finding the solution after you've hit "submit".  In that case your self-solved post can be a resource for the community as you describe.

If you find yourself too frequently solving your own posts, then perhaps just spend a little longer in the drafting stage.  Write out the post (offline) and let it sit for a day or so, then look back at it.  If you still cant solve it, post it.  (1 day is just a random arbitrary time - find something that fits the circumstances).

However, I think all this is just details - the important thing is that you already realize that you want your posts on these forums to be useful to others, and you want your posts on these forums to not add unneeded noise.  With those right motivations, the details of implementation tend to work themselves out.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-03-19 19:30:41

shulamy

i think that if you found the answer in the forums or in the wiki,

ask a moderator to close it.

if not give us the solution.

ezik

#5 2016-03-19 20:14:59

JohnBobSmith

Thanks for the replies! I do find that writing out a complete question helps me come to my answer/conclusion. This:

Trilby wrote:

If you find yourself too frequently solving your own posts, then perhaps just spend a little longer in the drafting stage.  Write out the post (offline) and let it sit for a day or so, then look back at it.  If you still cant solve it, post it.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hope I will be able to contribute something useful to the Arch community. smile

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-03-19 20:15:54)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

Board footer