You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-20 11:05:36

onslow77

[SOLVED] I need advice in order to get readings from lm_sensors

Hello!

Summery
I need advice on wich of the two options below I should choose in order to minimize the risk of damage my hardware:

Boot with kernel parameter: "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" and load the modules "coretemp & nct6775" 
 Boot with kernel parameter: "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" and load the modules "coretemp & asus_atk0110" 

My Harware
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: 5960x
sensor-detect:
- "coretemp" the Intel core temperature monitor
- "nct6775" the driver for nct6775F and compatibe chips

Resources

The FAQ section of lm_sensor wiki that refer to more information about the "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" is unavailiable.

I found part of the FAQ section Here and this previously arch-forum post Both post from 2009 -2010.

Question
I am asking if anyone at Arch Linux Comunity can point me to a more recent documentation that can help me in my decision?

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-03-25 16:47:47)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#2 2016-03-20 11:39:39

Ziusudra

Re: [SOLVED] I need advice in order to get readings from lm_sensors

https://web.archive.org/web/20150823051 … Q/Chapter3

I think the only time there is a risk of damage is during the sensors-detect probing.

Have you gotten any errors that make you think you need the "acpi_enforce_resources=lax"?

#3 2016-03-20 11:53:03

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

What if you boot without either and simply run sensors-detect as root?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2016-03-20 13:14:54

onslow77

Hello!

Ziusudra - Thank you, I will go thrue the link you provided and see if it is helpful.
graysky - See below.

Current sensor readings
I do not get a full reading from lm_sensors. I have information about CPU temperature but lack for example FAN RMP and vcore.

This is what I have tried
- run "sensors-detect" as root choosing the default option at every question with no errors
- loaded "coretemp & nct6775" as a systemd service (the automatic configuration after sensor-detect)
- manually loaded "coretemp & nct6775" with a configuration file in /etc/modules-load.d/load_these.conf
- manually loaded "coretemp & asus_atk0110" with a configuration file in /etc/modules-load.d/load_these.conf
- increased the fan_div with a configuration file in /etc/sensors.d/

All of the above give me a sensor reading with only information about CPU temperature.

The problem
The sensor chip "nct6775" on my motherboard (as I have understood it) can not communicate with lm_sensors.

dmesg | grep ACPI
[    6.168769] ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000295-0x0000000000000296 conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000290-0x0000000000000299 (\_GPE.HWM_) (20150930/utaddress-254)
[    6.168772] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver

That is why a solution could be to boot with the kernel parameter:

acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Why I hesitate
The lm_sensors wiki point out that booting with the above kernel parameter can potentially damage your hardware. Since the reference to that information is missing/old; I am seeking for more up to date documentation in order to see if this is still true.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-03-20 13:51:31)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#5 2016-03-20 16:11:47

onslow77

Hello!

Here are some updates:

Alternative 1
- load without "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as a kernel parameter and loading the modules "coretemp & nct6775" with the default lm_sensors.service
- Result: I get only CPU temerature

Alternative 2
- load with "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as a kernel parameter and loading the modules "coretemp & nct6775" with the default lm_sensors.service
- Result: I get a full reading from lm_sensors

Alternative 3
- load with "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as a kernel parameter and manually loading the modules "coretemp & asus_atk0110 " in /etc/modules-load.d
- Result: I get only CPU temerature and the below error:

systemctl --failed
systemd-modules-load.service                                     loaded failed failed        Load Kernel Modules

I have not investigated the above problem yet. But a quick search turned up alot of result, so I have plenty to read.

Conclusion
I will wait witth using "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as a kernel parameter untill I have a better understaning of what it does and what makes it a potentially dangerous paramter to use.

I gladly take suggestions on what I should read up on to better understand the use of "acpi_enforce_resources=lax".

Regards
Martin

#6 2016-03-20 21:53:13

Ziusudra

onslow77 wrote:
systemctl --failed
systemd-modules-load.service                                     loaded failed failed        Load Kernel Modules

so what does "systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service" say?

onslow77 wrote:

I will wait witth using "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as a kernel parameter untill I have a better understaning of what it does and what makes it a potentially dangerous paramter to use.

I gladly take suggestions on what I should read up on to better understand the use of "acpi_enforce_resources=lax".

The archive of the lm-sensors FAQ (which is what I linked) explains that

With previous kernels hwmon drivers used to drive IO ranges which were potentially used by the ACPI code in your BIOS (which is active not only during but also after boot), we now explicitly check for this and if the ACPI code claims the IO-ports used by the hwmon chip, we no longer allow the hwmon driver to load.

Banging IO-ports of a chip from 2 different drivers, the Linux hwmon driver and the ACPI code is a really bad idea and can cause all sort of issues (including things like changing CPU / RAM voltage or clock speed). So the old behaviour was a really bad idea.

So even though this change in behaviour makes some people unhappy as to old behaviour happened to work without problems in their case (by sheer luck really), this change is really for the best!

If you have an Asus motherboard, chances are good there is an ACPI interface to read your sensors, which is safe, and no more sensors.conf tweaking needed for conversion formulas! Make sure you have the asus_atk0110 driver enabled in your kernel configuration to use this. You will also need lm-sensors version 3.1.0 or later.

If you want to restore the old behaviour (which might be dangerous) add: "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" to the kernel cmdline when booting

#7 2016-03-21 20:31:07

onslow77

Hello!

Thank you Ziusudra for your feedback.

I read the manual you linked and came to the conclusion that I need to investigate further what potentially damage using "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" can have to my hardware. The lm_manuel state that in orde to use the kernel parameter safly one should make sure to use the "asus_atk0110" driver. My motherboard does not use that driver. This is why I need to investigate further in order to be sure I do not damage my hardware.

Regards
Martin

#8 2016-03-21 23:41:04

Ziusudra

I read it the other way around; you use either the "asus_atk0110" driver or the "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" option.

Have you checked to make sure that your motherboard BIOS is up to date?

Also, can that BIOS control the fans? If so then you don't really need lm-sensors to be able to read the fan speed.

#9 2016-03-25 16:47:23

onslow77

Ziusudra wrote:

I read it the other way around; you use either the "asus_atk0110" driver or the "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" option.

Hello!

You are right Ziusudra. It is either "asus_atk0110" or the "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" option. I missread that one, thank you!

I have an Asus board so I will look into if I can use the "asus_atk0110" option. The bad old way (acpi_enforce_resources=lax) is working, but sounds like a risk.

I am marking this as solved. Thank you everyone for your time and advice.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-03-25 16:49:01)

Board footer