You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-12 19:26:02

XG SiNGH
Website

New Article in Arch Wiki - Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) (Suggestions)

Greetings fellow non-kangaroos,

TL;DR  >  New wiki article Self-Encrypting Drives (SED)  >  Review it (check commands are correct) & lets improve it to make it perfect!

I've recently purchased a new SSD, & it features built-in hardware-based full-disk-encryption (FDE) (aka self-encrypting-disk (SED)).
Upon research, I've learnt of the OPAL 2 spec, & that is now the standard on all SSDs that are SEDs.

So; I consulted the (sexy) Arch Wiki for info on how to setup & work with a SED, but discovered that there is no info on any of this!  Oh the horror!
So; CHALLENGE ACCEPTED - I've taken the lead, & created a new article on Arch Wiki (my first!) called: Self-Encrypting Drives (SED)

I'm making this announcement because I'd like everyone who is knowledgeable of SED to read it & confirm that everything is correct, & to improve upon it.
There are some things I was unsure of, & information available was sometimes unclear, or missing entirely. 
Specifically:  I need confirmation that the given commands are all correct.  I'm especially confused about the "Secure Erasure" commands, as the research on that was unclear.

I've informed "r0m30" (creator of msed, now a current co-developer of sedutil), & also Arch user "R00KIE" (maintainer of sedutil in AUR, frequenter of sedutil's issue queue, & 1 of 7 Arch Forum moderators with ~3k posts!), of my new Arch Wiki article so that they can review the accuracy of the information, & extend it with their expertise of the subject / sedutil program.
(In fact; it was R00KIE's comment: "I've been wanting to create a wiki page explaining how all this is setup but haven't gotten around to it yet" in his sedutil package (in the AUR) that motivated me to step-up O_O)

So; for the foreseeable future, I guess I'm the main maintainer of that page in the Arch Wiki (It's my baby!).  You can use that article's talk page, this forum thread, or psychic-dream-invasion to discuss it, & to suggest changes / improvements.

Thank you all

Last edited by XG SiNGH (2016-03-12 19:30:21)

BOiNG BOiNG
-- HEAD KANGAROO
KangarooCreativeTeam.com

#2 2016-03-12 21:47:42

Awebb

Re: New Article in Arch Wiki - Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) (Suggestions)

Nice work. I have no experience with SED, so I will simply suggest the use of sed "s/\ &\ /\ and\ /g".

#3 2016-03-20 22:27:06

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: New Article in Arch Wiki - Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) (Suggestions)

That's great that you get things moving by creating the wiki page, I have taken a look and I'll try to add/improve things, specifically on the custom stuff I've done for Arch.

There are a few things that might not be accurate in there and those should probably be changed, but I'll discuss that in the talk page.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer