You are not logged in.

#5226 2016-03-04 18:10:31

Cigarz

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey Folks! First time poster!

I've been using Linux for over 9 years now and I love it. I started originally using Knoppix back in high school as a disaster recovery solution. Eventually I install Ubuntu on my laptop; not everything worked out of the box but when I fixed them it was amazing. I used Crunchbang for a while and now I put Arch on my laptop. I love tinkering so Arch scratches that itch for me.

I also use Linux professionally, I work for a web hosting company and use CentOS on my workstation.

#5227 2016-03-04 18:26:26

jlwarg

Hi all!

I've been (mostly) lurking around in this forum for a few weeks now and thought I should say hello.
Being a newbie to Arch, I thought I'd introduce myself once I encounter an issue, but for the whole month of February nothing has happened that I couldn't handle by browsing the wiki and the forums.
Well except I wasn't patient enough to configure Xmonad properly and "solved" that by switching to awesome. But that was because I don't know jack about haskell and didn't belong in these forums.

I did my first successful Linux installation in 2002 (SuSe 7.3 I think), did some distro-hopping (actually used Arch for a few months around 2009) but always returned to Ubuntu because I'm lazy. And now it was lazyness that brought me back to Arch.

I started thinking about my workflow and thus customizing my environment last summer. If you want to try all the bells and whistles of your tools, using Ubuntu LTS isn't the smartest choice. Self-compiled tools stacked up in my userspace and when something breaks in a distro that comes with a full-fledged pre-configured desktop environment, you usually have no idea what happened. So I took the plunge and started from the ground up with Archlinux.

By now, I run arch on my two home laptops and a VM at work, on which I do the majority of my development work (mostly Python) and working has become fun again. Hopefully I'll have Arch running on the office desktop by the end of next week. I plan to write a script to resemble my home installations over the weekend. I think I'm all set regarding packages and dotfiles, just have to take care that I don't miss any services I have enabled so I won't burn too much company time.

Last edited by jlwarg (2016-03-04 18:27:42)

#5228 2016-03-07 20:04:40

thatsme.saurav

Hello Folks !!

Made a Quantum leap from Ubuntu.

#5229 2016-03-07 21:23:37

ewaller
Administrator

thatsme.saurav wrote:

Made a Quantum leap from Ubuntu.

I always thought that was a big step.  hmm   tongue

Welcome to Arch Linux smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5230 2016-03-09 07:41:31

THE PHANTOM

Hello,

I am newbie in linux. I would like to try Arch and leave windows little by little. Hope i will get supports here.

#5231 2016-03-09 07:52:36

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5232 2016-03-14 22:34:34

ellipticaldoor

Hi!

I'm a newbie to arch! I want to completely stop using privative software but that is very hard, I´m learning very slowly how to migrate everything that I do on osx to linux.

big_smile

#5233 2016-03-15 04:00:28

Texbrew

From a forum newbie, Welcome Aboard. By "privative" software, do you mean proprietary software (and operating systems)?

Anyway, I hope you find that Arch Linux suits your needs as you install the software you need. Enjoy the journey of learning that's ahead of you.

tex

#5234 2016-03-15 20:24:09

ellipticaldoor

Texbrew wrote:

From a forum newbie, Welcome Aboard. By "privative" software, do you mean proprietary software (and operating systems)?

Anyway, I hope you find that Arch Linux suits your needs as you install the software you need. Enjoy the journey of learning that's ahead of you.

tex

yep! proprietary software

#5235 2016-03-15 20:45:30

ewaller
Administrator

ellipticaldoor wrote:

yep! proprietary software

Noble cause.  Not to dissuade you from Arch, but the absolute adherence to the use of free (as in freedom) licences is not a central tenant of Arch Linux.  Its nice when it is, but you will find this distribution does have free (as in beer) software and firmware that does not qualify as libre. 

If you are really dedicated to the cause, you may want to consider Parabola.  Just be aware that support issues would have to be taken to their forums,.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-03-15 20:45:52)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5236 2016-03-16 01:42:53

Meithan

Hi everyone!

I'm a relatively long time Linux user, mainly Ubuntu lately (but I've also done [these are drugs, of course] Fedora, SuSE, Debian and some Slackware), and last night I installed Arch on my new Dell laptop.

After a few problems with Secure Boot (solution: disable it) and accidentally killing the preinstalled Windows install with parted (I wanted to try and keep it in dual boot - oh well), it's all working marvelously (I'm using Gnome3). Except for the ATI video drivers, but I'm working on it.

Anyway, hi to all and I hope I can contribute to the community in the future big_smile

#5237 2016-03-17 00:26:11

Sauron

Hello everyone! I've known Arch for a couple of years and after trying it first on virtual machines and then on spares I have been using it on the Lenovo x220 I use every day for 4 months now. At this point I see little reason to use any other distribution for myself as I have learned enough that prepackaged setups do not offer anything I would take over pacman, the AUR and the ability to truly build my system as I want it.

I don't know how active I'll be on this forum, but I felt it was time to join in smile

M-x butterfly

#5238 2016-03-18 12:49:16

Rurouni

Hello and from me big_smile
i used other Linux versions but now i use Arch smile

#5239 2016-03-19 02:49:36

r0ydster

Hello Arch world.  Long time Linux user here (Red Hat/SuSE in 1997). 

I have tried them all, but been a ubuntu user since 2005, tired of them bastardizing the DE and the bloat.

RHEL/CentOS admin in my professional life.

#5240 2016-03-19 17:04:00

zumbe

Hello Archers!
New Archer from Mongolia. Using Linux since 2008 (Ubuntu,Fedora). After last summer come out Windows 10 i finally decided to ditch Windows completely.
Along with enterprise backed  test bed Fedora. So far so good. Long time reader here even in my Ubuntu, Fedora periods. First will read forum rules carefully then
will ask about some little annoyances with my setup. Using very minimal Plasma.  But my hunch is few problems are mostly related to upstream and hardware specific.
So forgive me with my poor english.
smile

#5241 2016-03-19 19:35:56

Yax

Hi everyone,

from today, I'm a newbie arch user smile.

Until today, I've mainly used Mint for my personal computer and Debian/Centos for servers I use.

Hope this will be fun smile

#5242 2016-03-19 20:55:42

the_jza

Hi everyone!

I'm a Ruby/Python developer who recently made the switch to Linux from OSX a couple of months back. After a good bit of distro hopping that included at least ten different Arch installs (I find the process enjoyable, tbh) across my various machines, I've decided to stick with Arch. Arch has been an enjoyable learning experience for me and I'm looking forward to getting to know you and eventually doing my part to make the distro better for everyone.

#5243 2016-03-20 20:51:45

angelo1

Hello,

I just made the switch over to Arch Linux. I have been using ubuntu for a while, but I really wanted to get better at Linux and better at the command line so I decided to take the plunge into arch linux. So far everything has been working great!

#5244 2016-03-21 09:45:50

jwcale

hello everyone

after being fed up with ubuntu's unity obsession, i have switched to mate desktop and wanted to run arch under the hood, things are well but can't say no to a little help to straighten out few glitches that remain

so.. hello smile and have a good day

#5245 2016-03-21 14:21:58

SaphirShroom

Hi everyone,
Being a Windows user for my whole life (or about as close as you can get), I decided to switch to Fedora as my primary operating system in October 2015, because I disagreed with almost all changes to Windows from verison 8 onwards. At some point I read about Arch and realized I agreed with all of its paradigms, so I ditched Fedora on 21st February.
Even though Fedora was a big step up from Windows and I like GNOME quite a bit, I'm glad I switched - I love the idea of having a central core and then building up everything from it.
Right now I'm still customizing stuff and experimenting with window managers and shells - actually I think I have pretty much settled on i3 and zsh, but their settings are not final.

Have a great day!

#5246 2016-03-21 16:15:24

EmilyShepherd
Website

Hiya Everyone big_smile Glad to be a member of the Arch community smile

I've been using Linux (a mixture of Ubuntu / Debian) on web servers for a while, but finally decided to make the switch from Windows a couple of weeks ago. I started out by installing Ubuntu, but only lasted 3 days before deciding Arch was a better choice for me wink I could not be more happy with my decision - I've had a few issues getting things setup, but as is always the way, I've had a lot of fun getting them resolved, and I've pretty much got my laptop setup now smile

Anyway, hello all smile

#5247 2016-03-22 01:18:55

Ghostt

I am glad to join the Arch Linux community and say Hello to everyone. Most of my life i was using Windows, and i was happy until they went the wrong way with W8 and 10, which I totaly disliked. That was concerning my desktop. Also, I had a crappy old netbook, that was preinstalled with Windows7 starter. The device had poor performance, it couldn't handle even a few tabs in browser. Things started to freeze, stutter, and overall it was a pain to use it. The third reason - I was tired of all of hat spyware and spam and advertising and stuff like that.
So a year ago i installed Ubuntu. When i was at school, i tried installing Ubuntu8. It was awesome. Gnome2 was so sweet. I was a little disappointed to see Unity. But then i realized that Unity might be a good thing for a netbook! But after I installed it on the netbook, i realized that there is no OpenGl hardware acceleration. Everything was slide-showing. And my trip continued for 3 months experimenting and distro-hopping until one day my friend told me about Arch. That was the best day in my life. I installed Arch on my netbook. In the meantime i learned about MATE. Oh my god, this netbook works like a charm now: fast, stable, low RAM usage, better battery life! big_smile And looks like Gnome2! This is amazing! After that i got it running on desktop with Plasma5. Now i use it everywhere. Also, ArchLinux has the best Wiki and Forums i've ever seen. Anything you want to know is there. The ideas and phylosophy behind Arch are awesome. The package management and rolling-release makes me happy!
Now i can't imagine using any other OS or distro. smile

Thank you, Arch developers for this distro. I hope someday i could help this community like it did helped me!

Last edited by Ghostt (2016-03-22 01:21:01)

#5248 2016-03-22 14:48:38

gerard_m90

Hi everyone,

I'm not new on Arch Linux because I've been using it over the last three months. Today i decided to be part of this great community. I've been using other GNU/Linux distros like Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint for 5 years but i changed to Arch Linux because i wanted to learn about this great OS better.

#5249 2016-03-22 20:05:48

nick@archpi2

Hello all.

I've been dipping my toe in and out of Linux for a few years now, I recently resurrected my old Mac mini with Ubuntu and I've also installed Ubuntu on my son's Macbook as a dual boot. I've done some work on the Mac terminal and also some bits on Ubuntu but nothing too exciting, just basic stuff with the filesystem, creating images on SD cards etc, some system tweaks on OSX and also I’ve been using SSH on my Macbook to access Linux shells to carry out various tasks.

I recently got a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B as a gift and installed Ubuntu Mate, I soon realized that I wasn't going to learn as much as I wanted with a desktop environment that was already configured for me and I really wanted to get deeper into using the Linux shell so yesterday I installed Arch Linux Arm on the Pi 2 from the brilliant instructions on this site. I learned more last night (it was a late one) configuring Arch from the information on this site than I have in the years that I’ve been using other Linux distributions, I'm going to refrain from installing any kind of Desktop on Arch for as long as possible as I feel it will just make me lazy and I won't learn anything with fancy GUI's doing all of the work (as lovely as they are to use) so it's shell only until I really do need a desktop.

I'm also learning Python and teaching my son as I go along, I used to program in Basic as a kid in the 80's on a C16 and later on a BBC-B. I've not done much programming since learning some Pascal at college in the early 90's but I'm loving Python and I can see how helpful it is going to be with various projects I have in mind for the RPi. I plan to learn as much as possible from using and configuring my own Arch system and I'm having loads of fun doing it.

The wiki that you have all put together on this site is amazing by the way, very well written and intuitive.

Looking forward to getting to know some fellow Arch Users and learning from the experts.

Nick

#5250 2016-03-22 20:20:08

ewaller
Administrator

nick@archpi2 wrote:

Hello all
.... so yesterday I installed Arch Linux Arm on the Pi 2 from the brilliant instructions on this site. I learned more last night (it was a late one) configuring Arch from the information on this site than I have in the years that I’ve been using other Linux distributions,...

First, welcome to the Arch Linux forums.  Just be aware that Arch Linux (x86, x86_64 architectures) and Arch Arm Linux (Arm architecture) are actually separate projects. We love Arch Arm (that which you are running on the Raspberry pi) and wish them nothing but the best.  Many of the moderators here, myself included, are active Arch Arm users.   They have excellent forums and it is they that deserve the kudos for the installation instructions for the Rasp-pi.   Naturally, the Arch Linux wiki and Arch Linux forums are a great resource for Arch Arm users.  Just be aware that questions related to Arch Arm need to be directed to them.

If you are looking to expand your knowledge further, next you should install Arch on an x86_64 system.  smile

Last edited by ewaller (2016-03-22 20:20:32)

---

Board footer