You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-16 20:25:33

Iyyel
Website

Macbook Pro (15", 2015, dual GPU) Possible to switch between GPU's?

Hi Arch forums.

As the title states, I have a Macbook Pro 15-inch from mid-2015, with both the integrated intel graphics as well as a discrete ATI graphics card. (RM370X)

Here's a bit of information:

[root@archbook iyyel]# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Venus XT [Radeon HD 8870M / R9 M270X/M370X] (rev 83)
[root@archbook iyyel]# 

I tried to look through 'lspci', and I couldn't find anything talking about intel graphics, so I suppose the system does not recognize it. Now, it's the first time I'm running Linux on a dual graphics system, so I'm not quite sure what I should do.

Obviously, I would love some 'easy' way to switch between both the graphics cards for performance and battery reasons, but I guess that is asking too much, keeping in mind I do not have OS X installed, at all.

The second best thing, I guess, would be to be able to completely switch off the discrete graphics card, and use the integrated intel one at all times. I don't really do any gaming, only scripting and programming, so I don't need much raw graphics power.

If you need more information, have any tips or tricks, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-16 20:27:50)

#2 2016-01-16 20:56:52

TheFiddler

Re: Macbook Pro (15", 2015, dual GPU) Possible to switch between GPU's?

In the previous generations, this was possible using a specific EFI payload to disable the discrete GPU at boot time. This would enable support for the Intel GPU, which would run fine afterwards, but disable support for external monitors until the next reboot.

The same trick should work on the latest version with the AMD GPU.

I wonder if there has been any progress getting switching to work without rebooting the system.

The Open Toolkit: OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenCL and Vulkan for Mono/.Net.

#3 2016-01-16 21:02:02

Iyyel
Website

TheFiddler wrote:

In the previous generations, this was possible using a specific EFI payload to disable the discrete GPU at boot time. This would enable support for the Intel GPU, which would run fine afterwards, but disable support for external monitors until the next reboot.

This would be fine with me, to be honest. I'll imagine I'll be getting a tad bit cooler system as well as better battery life. I have been trying to look for this myself, but I don't seem to be able to find anything related to it, if you know where I can find anything like this, specifically for my model, I'd appreciate that. Or, should I just look at the methods for the older laptops?

Oh and, switching between the two has been a thing, or?

#4 2016-02-08 19:12:30

positronik

Iyyel wrote:
TheFiddler wrote:

This would be fine with me, to be honest. I'll imagine I'll be getting a tad bit cooler system as well as better battery life. I have been trying to look for this myself, but I don't seem to be able to find anything related to it, if you know where I can find anything like this, specifically for my model, I'd appreciate that. Or, should I just look at the methods for the older laptops?

Hi, did you have any luck with this? I am trying to use the integrated card but it does not show up in lspci.

#5 2016-02-13 14:08:13

Lukeee

Hi,

I know this may be a long shot, but could someone try this, and tell us if anything happens at all?

https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch

Could also follow that to see if you can get the integrated GFX working at all too!

Regards,

Luke.

Edit:

Not sure if you've seen this either, it's 2013, but still, it doesn't work now so what's it going to hurt!

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … -late-2013

Last edited by Lukeee (2016-02-13 14:10:09)

#6 2016-02-13 14:38:54

TheFiddler

According to Phoronix, linux 4.6 will finally support switching for pre-retina macbooks. Switching for retina macbooks is currently in progress!

The Open Toolkit: OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenCL and Vulkan for Mono/.Net.

#7 2016-03-25 21:28:59

Iyyel
Website

positronik wrote:
Iyyel wrote:
TheFiddler wrote:

Hi, did you have any luck with this? I am trying to use the integrated card but it does not show up in lspci.

Apologies for my late reply, but nu, unfortunately not.

I've decided to just run on a rather hot system (compared to OS X at least.)

all CPU cores idling at about 55~. I believe it would help with a few degrees if I was using the intel one instead of the AMD gpu constantly.

#8 2016-03-25 21:30:03

Iyyel
Website

Iyyel wrote:
positronik wrote:

Apologies for my late reply, but no, unfortunately not.

I've decided to just run on a rather hot system (compared to OS X at least.)

all CPU cores idling at about 55~. I believe it would help with a few degrees if I was using the intel one instead of the AMD gpu constantly.
--

TheFiddler wrote:

According to Phoronix, linux 4.6 will finally support switching for pre-retina macbooks. Switching for retina macbooks is currently in progress!

Oh really! That's exciting. I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for the link!

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-03-25 21:30:50)

Board footer