You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-27 19:29:35

augusfis

[SOLVED] Failed to boot after installation. BIOS (Samsung Ultrabook)

Hi!

I tried to install arch in my Samsung I5 (NP530U3C). It has a 450 GB HDD and a 24 GB SSD. Following the beginners guide i created /boot and / in the SSD; and /home; /var and swap in the HDD, (all GPT and ext4, except for swap and /boot, that I used with UEFI).

After installation, i get the message : " No loader found. Configuration files in /loader/entries/*.conf are needed.".

I know i have to create/correct the file located there, but know i can't boot the USB media to enter in chroot.  The only thing I see is "Linux Boot Manager" in the "Boot Menu", no HDD or usb drive to boot to.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i can't access the bios or the recovery mode (F2 and F4 respecivly). It always goes to UEFI loader....

EDIT2: Now, after i press the battery button(below the laptop), it neither goes to UEFI loader nor can i select any bootable media....

Any ideas ?

thanks for your help!

Last edited by augusfis (2016-05-27 02:19:45)

#2 2016-03-29 07:03:07

mauritiusdadd

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to boot after installation. BIOS (Samsung Ultrabook)

Hi augusfis and welcome to the forums,
once I had the same machine and for what I know, unfortunately, the embedded SSD cannot be used as a boot device (or as root mount-point).

Regarding the fact you cannot access the UEFI/BIOS, I had the exactly same issue once: the problem is that the UEFI implementation on this machine is just broken and the NVRAM become corrupted during the installation (see http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026807/ … ptops.html and http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027819/ … s-too.html).

Now, if your product is still under warranty, you can try to send it back for repairs. Otherwise, you could try to restore the corrupted NVRAM by first disconnecting the power adapter, then open the machine and removing the CMOS battery and then pressing the battery pinhole (below the laptop) for a couple of minutes.

If the procedure above does not work, or if you just don't want to mess-up with the hardware, and if the machine still can boot from a bootable USB, then you could try to make a Windows live-media and re-flash  the bios using the Samsung utility.

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2016-03-29 07:11:29)

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#3 2016-03-29 14:47:48

augusfis

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to boot after installation. BIOS (Samsung Ultrabook)

Thanks for the reply!

That was exactly the problem. I manage to access the USB with Arch using F9 (really don't know why), and install with MBR and BIOS( instead of UEFI and GPT). From there, it was possible to access the Arch, only through the USB, using the "Boot existing OS" option and changing hd0 to hd1.

Now, the notebook doesn't recognize any disk, unless entered via the USB, so I called Samsung  and they told me to go to a Samsung Service to remove the CMOS battery which I did. I'm waiting for the service, but linux worked perfectly.

I guess its kind of solved, and it was more a Hardware issue than an installation one.

thank you!

Update: Resetting the CMOS doesn't seem to fix the problem, apparently only a BIOS re-flashing does...

Final update: Had to take it to Samsung for a "hard" BIOS reflash. Now its working properly.

Moral: Be very careful when editing BIOS settings in Samsung notebooks.

Last edited by augusfis (2016-05-27 02:18:40)

Board footer