You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-22 09:51:09

AsbjornOlling

Bioshock Infinite on Steam crashes on start: "Operation not permitted"

So I bought steam today, downloaded for hours, and now it won't run.

Symptoms and Error Logs

When I launch via the blue play-button in steam, I get nothing but a window with the header:

'Bioshock Infinite' has experienced an unrecoverable problem, and has had to close"

Clicking "Show Details..." takes me to the following report.
The "Application Log" section of the report is identical to the entire contents of ~/.local/share/irrationalgames/bioshockinfinite/eon.txt, which people with similar issues seem to be interested in.

System Information:
OS Version:
	Linux Distribution:	Arch Linux
	Kernel Version:		4.4.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 07:38:19 CET 2016

Hardware Info:
	Machine Type		Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z170X-UD3 To be filled by O.E.M.
	CPU Type		GenuineIntel x86_64
	CPU Info		Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
	CPU Speed		3900 MHz
	CPU Physical Cores	4
	CPU Logical Cores	4
	Physical Memory		8128868 KiB
	Virtual Memory		0 KiB

Crash Dump:
5ae6005e-1b4a-870d-7a3068fa-4368cfd6.dmp (98552 bytes)

Application Log:
[thread ffffffff][I][0]: Log system initialised
[thread ffffffff][I][0]: Default allowed number of simultaneously open files in the system is 2448.
[thread ffffffff][I][0]: Current memlock limit is 65536.
[thread ffffffff][I][0]: setrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK) failed, (1) Operation not permitted
[thread ffffffff][I][0]: setup_teb_register() - using LDT entry 13
[thread 00000001][I][211]: Forcing OpenGL Core context usage
[thread 00000001][I][236]: ===enforcing log flush===

When I try to launch the game from a terminal, using the executable at ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/BioShock Infinite/bioshock, it gives me the following error:

./bioshock.i386: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./bioshock.i386 failed to start due to the following dependancy problems:
	linux-gate.so.1 (0xf773a000)
	libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 (0xf769d000)
	libSDL2-2.0.so.0 => not found
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf754e000)
	librt.so.1 => /usr/lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf7545000)
	libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf753f000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6 (0xf7472000)
	libsteam_api.so => ./libsteam_api.so (0xf745f000)
	libopenal-eon.so.1 => ./libopenal-eon.so.1 (0xf73f5000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf727e000)
	libm.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7228000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf720e000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf71f1000)
	libc.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf703c000)
	libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libGLX.so.0 (0xf7019000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXext.so.6 (0xf7003000)
	libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0xf6f56000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf6f2f000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf773b000)
	libz.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.1 (0xf6f18000)
	libbz2.so.1.0 => /usr/lib32/libbz2.so.1.0 (0xf6f07000)
	libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib32/libpng16.so.16 (0xf6eca000)
	libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0xf6e64000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0xf6e60000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf6e59000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xf6d33000)
	libpcre.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libpcre.so.1 (0xf6cbd000)
What I've Tried

- Some people talk about editing a settings file to not include graphics options that require DirectX. But I don't have the settings file - I assume it is generated on first launch.
- Some talk about it being an XFS issue, but I'm on ext4.
- Others talk about installing lib32-primus to fix it, but it seems that this is for Nvidia Optimus issues specifically, which I guess doesn't apply to me since I'm on a desktop. I can totally imagine some package magically fixing it, because of the dependency error, but I can't figure out what it is. I know that I have nvidia, nvidia-libgl, and lib32-nvidia-libgl installed already.
- I tried running the executable mentioned with sudo, gave the same result.
- I tried running Steam with sudo, it refused.
- I tried running Steam without the modified "LD_PRELOAD=" variable that I normally run it with. Steam worked fine, as expected, but exact same issue with Bioshock.

So now... wat do?

#2 2016-03-22 11:20:19

JohnBobSmith

Re: Bioshock Infinite on Steam crashes on start: "Operation not permitted"

You are missing one crucial error:

/bioshock.i386 failed to start due to the following dependancy problems:
    linux-gate.so.1 (0xf773a000)
    libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 (0xf769d000)
    libSDL2-2.0.so.0 => not found
    libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf754e000)
    librt.so.1 => /usr/lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf7545000)

Try using pacman to install SDL2, and see if anything happens.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-03-22 12:04:27

AsbjornOlling

Thanks for your reply! Doesn't look like this was the end-all solution, but help is still much appreciated!

I installed sdl2 using pacman, which changed nothing. I get the exact same error messages.
Then I installed lib32-sdl2, which changed things a bit. Here's a detailed description of what's changed:

Now I no longer get the dependency errors when launching from CLI, but I instead get the pop-up window that I got earlier from launching via steam. Error message is the same as always - setrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK) failed.
When the popup pops up, the terminal outputs the following:

*** BREAKPAD CRASH ***
Handling crash report for AppID: com.irrationalgames.bioshockinfinite
Loaded libcurl: libcurl.so
libcurl version: libcurl/7.47.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.32 libssh2/1.7.0
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

When I open the file "bioshock.i386" instead of the file "bioshock", it opens a new steam-style pop-up window and puts some errors in the terminal. Before installing lib32-sdl2, they would both output the same dependancy errors.
The steam pop-up says:

Please make sure Steam client is running, and currently logged-in Steam account has the game in Library. The game will now exit.

Meanwhile, the terminal says:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /home/asbjorn/.steam/bin32/steamclient.so
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.

Obviously, I have tried opening it with steam both open and not open. Result is the same.
Running the binaries with the alternate LD_PRELOAD changes nothing.
Launching from Steam also still doesn't work, same error.

Last edited by AsbjornOlling (2016-03-22 12:08:12)

#4 2016-03-22 12:18:29

JohnBobSmith

Hm... Try doing these, one at a time.
1) Try doing a full system upgrade (pacman -Syu) and see if anything happens. It may help to add a second y (sudo pacman-Syyu) to force repository re-fresh.
2) This is going to sound cheezy, but I would re-boot. That should kill all bugged/gummed up steam processes and previous game launch fails
3) Are you using steam's family sharing? That may prevent the game from working correctly, and is one of the only things I can think of that might generate the "logged-in Steam account has the game in Library. " error aside from a broken steam itself.
4) You may wish to re-set steams clientregistry.blob. There are instructions on the web for how to this, I will see if I can't find the link for you.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention: We don't know which graphics card you are using! Inxi -G should help with that. If you haven't installed inxi, do so. It's just a system info tool.

EDIT: Try this: http://www.extremusgaming.com/articles/ … stry-steam. It's really simple. The linux path should be ~/.local/share/Steam. For whatever reason I cannot find the file on my system (it may not be needed on Linux?) but its something I thought would be worth mentioning.

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-03-22 12:30:43)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#5 2016-03-22 14:52:46

alphaniner

I googled "setrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK) failed" and found a number of Steam forum pages specifically about BI. They're a year old but may be worth looking in to.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2016-03-22 22:15:22

AsbjornOlling

JohnBobSmith wrote:

Hm... Try doing these, one at a time.
1) Try doing a full system upgrade (pacman -Syu) and see if anything happens. It may help to add a second y (sudo pacman-Syyu) to force repository re-fresh.
2) This is going to sound cheezy, but I would re-boot. That should kill all bugged/gummed up steam processes and previous game launch fails
3) Are you using steam's family sharing? That may prevent the game from working correctly, and is one of the only things I can think of that might generate the "logged-in Steam account has the game in Library. " error aside from a broken steam itself.
4) You may wish to re-set steams clientregistry.blob. There are instructions on the web for how to this, I will see if I can't find the link for you.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention: We don't know which graphics card you are using! Inxi -G should help with that. If you haven't installed inxi, do so. It's just a system info tool.

EDIT: Try this: http://www.extremusgaming.com/articles/ … stry-steam. It's really simple. The linux path should be ~/.local/share/Steam. For whatever reason I cannot find the file on my system (it may not be needed on Linux?) but its something I thought would be worth mentioning.

I have tried 1) & 2), neither do anything. I don't use family sharing, and I don't have a clientregistry.blob file either.

The graphics card might be worth mentioning, I just realized that it isn't in the Hardware section from the error report.
I recently upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 970 (hence the game purchase), with the proprietary driver. I have no problems playing other games (Portal 2, Cities: Skylines, Firewatch) with it.

alphaniner wrote:

I googled "setrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK) failed" and found a number of Steam forum pages specifically about BI. They're a year old but may be worth looking in to.

I've already done that exact search and read through all of the posts in all of the steam threads. No luck.

#7 2016-03-22 23:11:01

JohnBobSmith

Oh yes, that GTX 970 is a fancy new piece of hardware. If at all possible, use the proprietary driver from the arch repositories (AFAIK nvidia is in the official repos). Do you have it installed already and bio-shock refuses to work? That's a whole different issue altogether.

EDIT: Mis-read your reply, looks like you do indeed have it installed.

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-03-22 23:12:28)

#8 2016-04-01 22:05:32

tvn87

Have you tried setting the game launch options to the following line? The game seems to have a problem with the current Nvidia Driver, but they are assureing that they are working on the problem.

__GLVND_DISALLOW_PATCHING=1 %command%

Board footer