You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-07 14:56:02

zipeldiablo

[SOLVED] .config file fails validity check before compilation

Hi, in order to improve my system performances with gaming with vga passthrough i'm trying to modify my kernel to put the timer frequency to 1000mhz and the preemption model to voluntary.
Since i use the linux-vfio kernel from aur i thought it would be easier to just clone the git repo doing my modifications and then compile with makepkg.
Repo link : https://github.com/zman0900/linux-vfio-aur

So there is two config files, i modifed config.x86_64 according to my needs :

CONFIG_HZ_300=y
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
CONFIG_HZ=300

Replacing 300 by 1000 and 1000 by 300

# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

appending _VOLUNTARY after PREEMPT and removing _VOLUNTARY in previous line

However the config file doesn't pass the validity check, did i miss something? Is there some modifications to do on the other config file?
I did some research on the forum but without much luck.

Last edited by zipeldiablo (2016-04-07 15:49:10)

#2 2016-04-07 15:00:29

EmilyShepherd
Website

Re: [SOLVED] .config file fails validity check before compilation

It is usually recommended that you use the tools that are provided by the kernel developers to edit .config, rather than editing it directly, as they allow you to make all the necessary edits without breaking anything. Run, 'make help' for a list of available config helpers (I, for example, use make nconfig, which gives a nice ncurses based interface, but there is also a simpler line based one, and more complex GUI based ones if you prefer).

Last edited by EmilyShepherd (2016-04-07 15:01:28)

#3 2016-04-07 15:09:00

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

zipeldiablo wrote:

So there is two config files, i modifed config.x86_64 according to my needs

[...]

However the config file doesn't pass the validity check

Of course not, you changed it's contents so it's checksum has changed. It'd be a poor validity check if changing the contents of the file didn't change the checksum. wink

Update the checksum arrays in the PKGBUILD by running 'updpkgsums' or by generating the checksums and editing the PKGBUILD manually.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2016-04-07 15:40:52

zipeldiablo

WorMzy wrote:
zipeldiablo wrote:

So there is two config files, i modifed config.x86_64 according to my needs

[...]

However the config file doesn't pass the validity check

Of course not, you changed it's contents so it's checksum has changed. It'd be a poor validity check if changing the contents of the file didn't change the checksum. wink

Update the checksum arrays in the PKGBUILD by running 'updpkgsums' or by generating the checksums and editing the PKGBUILD manually.

Silly me... that's what you get from using other linux distro, never use checksums hmm
Thanks, solved my problem.

@EmilyShepherd : from what i read that requires to use a custom folder like rpmbuild on other distros, since i cloned directly from the repo thought it was easier to just edit the film, will look into that later though, maybe i missed something.

Board footer