You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-06 19:12:14

debauchery1st

HP Pavilion zd8000

I've seen so many other models of Notebooks/Laptops posted, I just thought I'd start a thread for the zd8000.

The installation went rather well, but X was a little tricky to get tweaked just right.

This model has an ATI mobility Radeon X600, and a broadcom wireless chip... it's also a widescreen laptop with a native resolution of 1600x1050. I'm sure you can imagine the tweaks that had to be made.

When I first installed Arch, it was already apparent that I'd need to bring along a copy of the latest ndiswrapper + my Windows wifi driver. I won't go into detail on that, as I'm sure you can just search for ndiswrapper in any search engine (I used google) to find the information you need.

once you get that installed, you can throw a few lines into the end of your /etc/rc.local to automatically configure your wifi card on bootup (this is optional of course).

#####################
#  simple 'wifi' configuration  #
#####################

# eth0 isn't needed at this point
ifconfig eth0 down

# turn on ndiswrapper (wifi windows driver)
modprobe ndiswrapper

# grab our nearest access point
iwconfig wlan0

# lastly, we'll let dhcp get us an ip address
dhcpcd -d wlan0

#####################
#  End of 'wifi' configuration  #
#####################

Now that we have wifi going, pacman can do all of the Xorg installation, but in order for the display to look smooth, especially if you want to run any opengl apps, you've got to install the firegl drivers.

pacman -Sy ati-fglrx
pacman -Sy ati-fglrx-utils

I let the 'aticonfig' program modify my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and then I removed the unneeded garbage while adding some resolution tweaks like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATI Graphics Adapter 0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        ChipID 0x3150
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig Screen 0"
        Device     "ATI Graphics Adapter 0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig Monitor 0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1680x1050" "1440x900" "1280x768" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

Double check to make sure the firegl module is loaded at boot... your /etc/rc.conf should have it in the modules section.

mine looks like this:
MODULES=(!usbserial p4_clockmod usb-storage sd_mod fglrx)

And after alot of yelling and screaming the words "ATI, I HATE YOU" at my laptop, I realized that the default Arch setup didn't seem to give write permission to users for the tmp directory. This is a huge problem for the ATI drivers, as they don't really 'work unless they can throw some garbage into there. So the only solution is to change the permissions on the /dev/shm directory. (use chmod or chown of course)

I hope this helps anyone who's having Laptop issues, feel free to add any comments and I hope I didn't forget anything.

Board footer