You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-06 22:19:41

rekahsoft
Website

HiDPI multimonitor blurry fonts

Hi all, I was given a MacBook Pro for work and obviously had to switch it over to archlinux. I have read the archwiki in regard to HiDPI (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI) and the Macbook articles, but currently still have slighly fuzzy fonts on the scaled monitors. I use xmonad so I used the .Xresources properties that were recommended on the HiDPI wiki page, along with scaling other monitors by a factor of 2.

Added the following to .Xresources:

Xft.dpi: 180
Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.rgba: rgb

And the following is the xrandr command I issue to scale the other monitors I have (both of which are in portrait mode but I don't think that is necessarily important).

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --off --output DP-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 2880x0 --rotate right --scale 2x2 --output eDP-1 --primary --mode 2880x1800 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP-2 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 5040x0 --rotate left --scale 2x2

So the scale of everything is fine but the text on the 2 external monitors is blurry/fuzzy. Still readable but I spend 8+ hours a day in front of the system at work so I need it to be nice and sharp like it should be.

Thanks so much for any help, tips or advice.

PS: No need to give tips like "Don't but mac". Trust me, I never would myself but I wasn't given an option.

#2 2016-04-07 15:27:22

AboveUnrefined

Re: HiDPI multimonitor blurry fonts

This won't really answer your question but could point you in a direction to help rectify your situation:

I had some experience with this a little while ago and it had to do with the HDMI interface on the machine picking up my display as a TV device; no matter what I would do to change that output would be blurry and look like I was using an old TV with a composite cable. There was nothing I can do to override it so I had to use an "active" mini DP to HDMI adapter to correct it. This was with a 4k display.

I was going through a lot with adjusting configurations in order to force display detection in certain ways and use different display/color profiles (use RGB colorspace as opposed to YUV).

#3 2016-04-08 02:50:05

rekahsoft
Website

Re: HiDPI multimonitor blurry fonts

Thank you so much for the pointer! It was exactly what I needed. The issue was actually two separate issues. First, I needed active display port mini to hdmi adapters instead of the passive ones I originally bought because I have a radeon video card and supposedly its required with 3 or more monitors. Secondly, I had the displays in portrait mode and I guess the videocard cant handle the scaling with 2 monitors. I'm not sure exactly why, but even in OS X (which I have left installed to do firmware updates) it wasn't able to do 2 portrait monitors and the laptop screen even using  the active display port mini to hdmi adapters I bought.

Anyways, thank you again for the great tip!

Board footer