You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-09 17:57:57

Mons1990

[SOLVED] GNOME 3.20 high mouse acceleration and ugly titlebar border

Hi. I updated now to GNOME 3.20 and i found 3 issues.
The FIRST ONE is discussed here.
The SECOND ONE is a modification on the mouse behavior. I know that there's not an option to set mouse acceleration, but now it's very higher then in 3.18 and this behavior is so annoying. Is there some workaround to get a lower one?
The THIRD ONE is the presence of the black line under the windows titlebar. They was here since 3.16 but I removed it using this method. Now it doesn't work anymore and I don't know how to get rid of them.
Thank you in advance for reading answering.
Have a nice week-end.

Last edited by Mons1990 (2016-04-10 10:01:48)

Hardware configuration: Intel Core i5 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GEForce 9600GT
Software configuration: Arch Linux, default kernel, NVidia 340xx drivers, Gnome 3 on X.Org
Mons

#2 2016-04-09 18:40:23

Mons1990

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME 3.20 high mouse acceleration and ugly titlebar border

I found a FOURTH ONE: in dconf-editor I set /org/gnome/mutter center-new-windows at TRUE, but windows still open near (not exactly at) the top/left corner

Hardware configuration: Intel Core i5 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GEForce 9600GT
Software configuration: Arch Linux, default kernel, NVidia 340xx drivers, Gnome 3 on X.Org
Mons

#3 2016-04-10 04:41:15

brittyazel

Are you using X or Wayland? Under Wayland windows opening up in the top left corner can be an issue, and it didn't used to be a problem under X but maybe something happened. It might be worth throwing in a bug report upstream, or checking to see if there is one already. Little quirks like this tend to get worked out in the first or second point release. I know that most of their focus this cycle was on Wayland, so issues under X make sense as this wasn't their focus.

For the mouse behavior are you correctly using xf86-input-libinput (or just libinput for wayland)? If you are using xf86-input-synaptics you need to switch to libinput instead. They deprecated support under anything but libinput in both X and Wayland sessions. Once you have libinput running, you should be able to adjust "cursor speed" (which is a weird mixture of both dynamic acceleration and velocity) from the control-center.

The black bar under the title bar is only present in apps that aren't using a headerbar (so mostly non-gtk apps or gtk2 apps). This is set in the Adwaita theme, so it any chance of removing it will need to be in a modification to the default theme. The reason that the old fix doesn't work anymore is probably due to theming and css changes made it the latest revision of gtk3+. If it really bothers you, feel free to try a different theme (or hack adwaita) that has 3.20 support, such as Arc or Adapta.

I don't really know what I'm doing.

#4 2016-04-10 08:53:51

Mons1990

Thank you for the answers.

brittyazel wrote:

Are you using X or Wayland? Under Wayland windows opening up in the top left corner can be an issue, and it didn't used to be a problem under X but maybe something happened. It might be worth throwing in a bug report upstream, or checking to see if there is one already. Little quirks like this tend to get worked out in the first or second point release. I know that most of their focus this cycle was on Wayland, so issues under X make sense as this wasn't their focus.

I'm using X because there is no Wayland process active even if i put a comment before WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf. Maybe nvidia-340xx is not compatible with Wayland and it switches to X.

brittyazel wrote:

For the mouse behavior are you correctly using xf86-input-libinput (or just libinput for wayland)? If you are using xf86-input-synaptics you need to switch to libinput instead. They deprecated support under anything but libinput in both X and Wayland sessions. Once you have libinput running, you should be able to adjust "cursor speed" (which is a weird mixture of both dynamic acceleration and velocity) from the control-center.

I'm removing xf86-input-evdev and I'm replacing it with xf86-input-libinput. I'll reboot and see if it works.
EDIT: IT WORKS! :-)

brittyazel wrote:

The black bar under the title bar is only present in apps that aren't using a headerbar (so mostly non-gtk apps or gtk2 apps). This is set in the Adwaita theme, so it any chance of removing it will need to be in a modification to the default theme. The reason that the old fix doesn't work anymore is probably due to theming and css changes made it the latest revision of gtk3+. If it really bothers you, feel free to try a different theme (or hack adwaita) that has 3.20 support, such as Arc or Adapta.

OK, this is secondary. I'll try changing the theme ;-)

Thank you :-)

Last edited by Mons1990 (2016-04-10 08:55:42)

Mons

#5 2016-04-10 09:05:26

brittyazel

Nvidia 340 is not compatible with Wayland, you are correct. Please try the 361 branch (latest release in stable repos) and see if that fixes your issue with the tty. The latest nvidia drivers do support wayland

#6 2016-04-10 09:44:55

Mons1990

brittyazel wrote:

Nvidia 340 is not compatible with Wayland, you are correct. Please try the 361 branch (latest release in stable repos) and see if that fixes your issue with the tty. The latest nvidia drivers do support wayland

I have a GEForce 9600GT compatible only with 340xx. But... I was curious and I switched to nouveau 2 minutes ago. Then I started GNOME with wayland and... Windows places exact at the center :-)
Thank you so much for the help. I try to use this configuration for a little and see. Not everything is working I see

$ gnome-mplayer
GMLIB-Message: after init: position=0,000 length=0,000 start_time=0,000 run_time=0,000 volume=0,00 player=dead media=unknown uri=

(gnome-mplayer:3432): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSocket: only works under X11

(gnome-mplayer:3432): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkwindow-x11.c:5555 drawable is not a native X11 window
Errore di segmentazione (core dump creato)

Mons

#7 2016-04-10 09:47:19

brittyazel

Mons1990 wrote:
brittyazel wrote:

I have a GEForce 9600GT compatible only with 340xx. But... I was curious and I switched to nouveau 2 minutes ago. Then I started GNOME with wayland and... Windows places exact at the center :-)
Thank you so much for the help. I try to use this configuration for a little and see. Not everything is working I see

$ gnome-mplayer
GMLIB-Message: after init: position=0,000 length=0,000 start_time=0,000 run_time=0,000 volume=0,00 player=dead media=unknown uri=

(gnome-mplayer:3432): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSocket: only works under X11

(gnome-mplayer:3432): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkwindow-x11.c:5555 drawable is not a native X11 window
Errore di segmentazione (core dump creato)

Glad it is working out! I don't know much about gnome-mplayer, I use VLC myself.

#8 2016-04-10 09:53:54

-MacNuke-

Here is a .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file where the ugly border is removed.

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar {                                                 
  border: none;
  background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom,
  shade(@theme_bg_color, 1.05),
  shade(@theme_bg_color, 0.99));
  box-shadow: inset 0 1px shade(@theme_bg_color, 1.4);
}

This is a mix from a post on reddit and the thread you mentioned. There is still a color difference in Google Chrome but not the fat ugly line. Maybe someone has a better idea for the gtk.css.

Last edited by -MacNuke- (2016-04-10 09:56:36)

#9 2016-04-10 10:01:24

Mons1990

-MacNuke- wrote:

Here is a .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file where the ugly border is removed.

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar {                                                 
  border: none;
  background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom,
  shade(@theme_bg_color, 1.05),
  shade(@theme_bg_color, 0.99));
  box-shadow: inset 0 1px shade(@theme_bg_color, 1.4);
}

This is a mix from a post on reddit and the thread you mentioned. There is still a color difference in Google Chrome but not the fat ugly line. Maybe someone has a better idea for the gtk.css.

Far better then before. Thank you too so much.

Mons

#10 2016-04-10 18:06:02

Awesome Donkey

Mons1990 wrote:

I found a FOURTH ONE: in dconf-editor I set /org/gnome/mutter center-new-windows at TRUE, but windows still open near (not exactly at) the top/left corner

I'm seeing this one too under GNOME 3.20 using X and the Nvidia 361 branch. Known issue?

#11 2016-04-10 18:06:55

Scimmia
Fellow

Yes, known issue

#12 2016-04-10 21:10:23

DeadMetaler

Awesome Donkey wrote:
Mons1990 wrote:

I'm seeing this one too under GNOME 3.20 using X and the Nvidia 361 branch. Known issue?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=211166

#13 2016-04-11 09:36:46

lmello

I had a bad time with the touchpad... I already had xf86-input-libinput, xf86-input-synaptics and xf86-input-evdev because I installed the 'xorg' group years ago. When using Firefox I went nuts because while using it the I was switching windows and selecting text randomly (!!!) so I noticed the new Mouse and Touchpad configuration and I read the news that with 3.20 the synaptics support on X was dropped in favor of libinput.

Now with those changes, how exactly do I 'switch' and which packages to remove? Before removing xf86-input-evdev Here's my libinput-list-device output:

# libinput-list-devices 
Device:           Power Button
Kernel:           /dev/input/event4
Group:            1
Seat:             seat0, default
Capabilities:     keyboard 
Tap-to-click:     n/a
Tap-and-drag:     n/a
Tap drag lock:    n/a
Left-handed:      n/a
Nat.scrolling:    n/a
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   none
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: n/a
Accel profiles:   n/a

Device:           Video Bus
Kernel:           /dev/input/event8
Group:            2

Device:           Sony Vaio Keys
Kernel:           /dev/input/event6
Group:            3

Device:           Sony Vaio Jogdial
Kernel:           /dev/input/event7
Group:            4
Capabilities:     keyboard pointer 
Nat.scrolling:    disabled

Device:           Power Button
Kernel:           /dev/input/event2
Group:            5

Device:           SEMICCHIP Usb Mouse
Kernel:           /dev/input/event1
Group:            6
Capabilities:     pointer 
Left-handed:      disabled
Middle emulation: disabled
Scroll methods:   button
Accel profiles:   flat*adaptive

Device:           USB2.0 Camera
Kernel:           /dev/input/event10
Group:            7

Device:           AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Kernel:           /dev/input/event0
Group:            8

Device:           SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Kernel:           /dev/input/event9
Group:            9
Size:             96.13x51.94mm
Capabilities:     pointer 
Tap-to-click:     disabled
Tap-and-drag:     enabled
Tap drag lock:    disabled
Left-handed:      disabled
Scroll methods:   *two-finger edge 
Click methods:    *button-areas clickfinger 
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles:   none

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#14 2016-04-11 09:58:56

lmello

BTW the mouse/touchpad configuration work flawlessly on Wayland; the touchpad does not work at all on X.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#15 2016-04-12 13:04:21

Mons1990

lmello wrote:

Now with those changes, how exactly do I 'switch' and which packages to remove?

I simply installed xf86-input-libinput and then removed xf86-input-evdev and it worked. Settings can be adjusted from the GNOME Control Panel. Maybe you want to keep a backup copy of the file you posted before trying this way and revert back if you face problems.

Mons

#16 2016-04-13 19:30:14

lmello

Mons1990 wrote:
lmello wrote:

Now with those changes, how exactly do I 'switch' and which packages to remove?

I simply installed xf86-input-libinput and then removed xf86-input-evdev and it worked. Settings can be adjusted from the GNOME Control Panel. Maybe you want to keep a backup copy of the file you posted before trying this way and revert back if you face problems.

Removing xf86-input-evdev didn't work for me - on a X session I had no mouse, no keyboard and no touchpad working at all.

Mouse/touchpad only works properly on wayland for me.

Board footer