You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-04 16:19:05

Photor

TLP: problems when going from battery to AC-power on Lenovo T440s

Hello Forum,

I posted this already to the German forum but did not get response. Maybe the audience is bigger here.

I have installed tlp intended as replacement for powertop, wich was not automized - I used it to change power settings "by hand". It worked flawlessly for some time (I cannot tell anything about the exact time, when it started making problems). I recognized freezing of the laptop, when going from battery to AC-power. I get some error messages like the following regarding the internal SSD (sda):

blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector .......
EXT4-fs error (device dm-2) ext4_find_entry: .....

This looks as if device sda cannot be found any more. And that means, nothing can't be written to any file: consequently the laptop freezes some minutes later. Even loging in from extern (via another laptop) over SSH is not possible (I suppose beause of the no more reachable file system: lock files cannot be written). At the end I have to hard reset the machine sad

The system: a Lenovo T440s with SSD, 8GB RAM. The Disk is LUKS encrypted (except for /boot). Arch Linux is uptodate. Before I used powertop without any problem. TLP was installed and activated by # systemctl enable tlp after a (minor) adaption of /etc/defaults/tlp - I can post this file if needed.

Is there any issue with TLP known especially regarding my configuration? I can provide any further information if needed.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Photor

PS: for the first I have changed back to powertop, but TLP would be nice.

#2 2016-04-05 20:54:39

halocaridina

Re: TLP: problems when going from battery to AC-power on Lenovo T440s

@Photor

This sounds like the issue discussed in the following threads:

https://github.com/linrunner/TLP/issues/84

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72191

The fix is to use one of the following settings (depending on the particular SSD):

SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=medium_power
SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=max_performance

4X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-8870 @ 2.40GHz; 256GiB; 11TB EXT4; SL6.8
2X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 @ 2.70GHz; 256GiB; 3.4TB EXT4; SL6.8
Thinkpad X250; Broadwell-ULT Core i5; 8GiB, 525GB Crucial_CT525MX3; Arch
Thinkpad T440S; Haswell-ULT Core i7; 12GiB, 512GB SanDisk X210; Arch

#3 2016-04-07 16:50:53

Photor

Hello halocaridina,

thank you for the links. It is a first end to start at; I will read through it. Good to know, that I am not alone. The posted messages look similar to what I get.

Just some minutes ago it happened again when going from battery to AC (other way not tested so far), but TLP was disabled - I think. I have deinstalled TLP (to be 100% sure there is no influence any more) for a next test. I have the impression (strictly non-science word), that TLP did change some settings permanently. Is that possible?

But I want TLP, if possible; so net try will be testing the options given in your links.

Thank you,

Photor

#4 2016-04-11 18:57:42

Photor

Hello,

short reply: 1st test with TLP and SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=medium_power seems to work. Will will go on with SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=max_performance.

Anyway, thank you for helping,

Photor

Board footer