You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-12 14:52:47

Kotrfa

[SOLVED] blk_update_request i/o error fd0 sector 0; UUID=xx not found

Hello,

I installed Arch next to Debian and then generated new Grub in Debian. It found Arch (on /dev/sda4) without any problems.

When I reboot and get into Grub and I choose Arch, I get something like "blk_update_request i/o error fd0 sector 0; UUID=xxx not found" and I get into rootfs console. There is nothing weird in my fstab (just /dev/sda4 for / and /dev/sda5 for /home - the exists and can be mount normally using arch-chroot). But the UUID in the error message is not any of existing on my disk. I suspected it is from installation USB, but it has different UUID too.

I am using BIOS with GPT, so it might be the issue, but I followed all guides how to install grub and it has worked well so far on my debian.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Kotrfa (2016-04-14 12:33:11)

#2 2016-04-12 15:11:37

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] blk_update_request i/o error fd0 sector 0; UUID=xx not found

The error mentions 'fd0' which refers to floppy disk. I can't explain why it's looking for a specific UUID, but the first thing to look into is disabling floppy in BIOS. There are often two settings, one for floppy drive type (by capacity) and one for floppy drive controller. On the BIOS type I'm most familiar with, controller is under "I/O Device Configuration". Disable any that you find. IMO it's always good practice to disable (via BIOS or jumpers) any h/w you don't intend to use.*

A less elegant solution is blacklisting the floppy module. It's also possible the module was built into your initramfs, which would explain why you only have this issue in Arch.

* Provided you remember you disabled it. When I needed to use a Serial port, it took me a few minutes to realize why it wasn't found... tongue

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-04-13 06:34:35

Kotrfa

Hello,

thank you for your answer Alphaniner. I disabled floppy disk in boot BIOS menu, but with no change. Hence I guess I need to get it out of initramfs. Could you give me a hint where should I look? I tried to add "floppy.blacklist=yes" when choosing Arch in grub, but that didn't help either (nor modules.blacklist=floppy).

Then I edited mkinitcpio.conf according to this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1166918, rebuild mkinitcpio and run update-grub2 on Debian, but when I use lsinitramfs on arch initramfs-linux.img, I still se there is "floppy.ko" module listed.

Thank you

Last edited by Kotrfa (2016-04-13 09:01:28)

#4 2016-04-13 12:04:45

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

You should post your grub.cfg as it might provide clues as to why you are seeing that error.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2016-04-13 14:47:57

alphaniner

Then I edited mkinitcpio.conf according to this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1166918, rebuild mkinitcpio and run update-grub2 on Debian, but when I use lsinitramfs on arch initramfs-linux.img, I still se there is "floppy.ko" module listed.

The blacklist method is intended to prevent the module from loading; it's not necessarily the case that it would prevent mkinitcpio adding the module to the initramfs. The point is, if you followed that post correctly, I think you should be good to go despite the module still being in initramfs. Have you tried booting with it?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2016-04-14 10:05:06

Kotrfa

For some stupid reason, Debian was generating wrong "root=UUID=xxxx..." for ArchLinux entry. I was able to boot to Arch using "root=/dev/sda4"  and than generated grub from Arch as usual. It works now. Thanks

Last edited by Kotrfa (2016-04-14 12:34:32)

Board footer