You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-15 14:08:55

aleksei

[SOLVED] How I can find dependences required for my PKGBUILD?

Hello, I have a few questions regarding AUR/PKGBUILD.

1) I want to create own PKGBUILD file for a software missing in official repos/aur. How I can find dependences required for binary file I am about to share? Probably there is a tool that detects which libraries the executed program uses or something like that.

2) Is there specific enviroment where I have to test my package before putting it to AUR?

Thanks

Last edited by aleksei (2016-04-15 17:54:04)

#2 2016-04-15 14:12:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How I can find dependences required for my PKGBUILD?

Is this a precompiled binary?  Is the source code not available?  Where is the upstream source?

If it's only available as a precompiled binary, is it part of a .dem or .rpm bundle?  If so those will list the dependencies.  If not, you can run ldd, and if you want you could use awk or cut to grab the third column of output and pass it to pacman -Fo to get package names for libraries.

You can also use namcap on your built pkg.tar.xz, which (I believe) does essentially this same thing.

For testing, if it works on your system that is a good first step.  Building and packaging in a clean chroot is good too - but if this is precompiled, I don't know if that provides any benefit.

EDIT: I would, of course, be happy to provide more details on any of the options I mention, but right now there are just too many unknowns.  Tell us about what this package is, and where it is coming from; that will narrow down what the best options are.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-04-15 14:18:06

eschwartz
Fellow

Trilby wrote:

For testing, if it works on your system that is a good first step.  Building and packaging in a clean chroot is good too - but if this is precompiled, I don't know if that provides any benefit.

You could run the package inside the chroot too, to ensure it actually runs with just the installed dependencies.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2016-04-15 14:30:53

aleksei

Trilby wrote:

Is this a precompiled binary?  Is the source code not available?  Where is the upstream source?

If it's only available as a precompiled binary, is it part of a .dem or .rpm bundle?  If so those will list the dependencies.  If not, you can run ldd, and if you want you could use awk or cut to grab the third column of output and pass it to pacman -Fo to get package names for libraries.

You can also use namcap on your built pkg.tar.xz, which (I believe) does essentially this same thing.

EDIT: I would, of course, be happy to provide more details on any of the options I mention, but right now there are just too many unknowns.  Tell us about what this package is, and where it is coming from; that will narrow down what the best options are.

This is a precompiled binary. Not sure if source code is available, I will check it later.

I have both deb and rpm packages. I understand that I can take dependencies from these packages, but I wasn't sure if this list is applicable to Arch due to differences between Debian and Arch (of courseI am not saying about package names). If it is not a problem, then I can mark this thread as solved.

Last edited by aleksei (2016-04-15 14:31:38)

#5 2016-04-15 14:42:05

eschwartz
Fellow

debtap aims to automate the conversion of .deb packages to Arch Linux packages with accurate translation of dependency lists.
It is supposed to work pretty well. wink

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#6 2016-04-15 14:50:47

aleksei

Eschwartz wrote:

debtap aims to automate the conversion of .deb packages to Arch Linux packages with accurate translation of dependency lists.
It is supposed to work pretty well. wink

Thanks, I'll take a look at this tool.

Board footer