You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-12 07:51:09

arcangeli

[Solved] Is it possible to install two libgl on optimus laptop

Hi,
I've a shiny new laptop, an Alienware 15 R2 with Skylake Core-i7 6700HQ and Nvidia GTX980m.
I'm using this beast for 3D graphics (mainly with Blender and sometimes with Houdini).

I'n not using bumblebee and don't want to use it as it is really slow.
I've made two xorg.conf file. One for starting X on the Intel and use the nvidia for CUDA/OpenCL (Cycles rendering in background) and a second one for using only the nvidia card.
All work perfectly until i want opengl based app when running on the Intel side.

Is it possible to install TWO libGL and chose manually (or by script) which one is needed?

For info, i'm starting X with a simple startx in console. No DM, no Desktop (just awesome wm).

I need this because when rendering, the display (when running cuda/opencl and xorg on the nvidia side) is really unusable (slow).

Thanks

Last edited by arcangeli (2016-04-17 08:36:06)

#2 2016-04-12 15:16:42

mrunion
Website

Re: [Solved] Is it possible to install two libgl on optimus laptop

Have you read the Optimus section in the Wiki? There is a way to run it ONLY on the nVidia card. If you don't care about the battery life and use the machine as a "desktop replacement" like I do, there is instructions for getting most Optimus setups to just use the nVidia card.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2016-04-12 16:53:52

arcangeli

I actually use mainly the nvidia as you describe.
But i need to use the intel gpu AND render with blender/cycles on the nvidia. If i render AND use the nvidia, the display is very slow. Unusable.
What i want is startx x on intel WITH OpenGL AND render (in background) on the nvidia with Blender/Cycles.
When not in final rendering, i always use the nvidia.

#4 2016-04-14 01:56:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

arcangeli wrote:

I actually use mainly the nvidia as you describe.
But i need to use the intel gpu AND render with blender/cycles on the nvidia. If i render AND use the nvidia, the display is very slow. Unusable.
What i want is startx x on intel WITH OpenGL AND render (in background) on the nvidia with Blender/Cycles.
When not in final rendering, i always use the nvidia.

Sounds like what you want to do is use bumblebee, really. Could you elaborate as to why it's 'really slow'? Is it the UI that's slow or blender itself?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2016-04-14 05:33:54

arcangeli

Without bumblebee, glxgears say 3989.41 FPS. With bumblebee, only 60FPS. Tried with optirun and primusrun - same result.
Blender is so slow with bumblebee too.
I don't know why there is a libglvnd if i can't install two libgl.
Something like eselect for gentoo may be really what i need.

Thanks for your help.

#6 2016-04-14 15:06:00

ewaller
Administrator

Why does it make sense to generate 65 frames for every one frame that can be displayed on a monitor with a refresh rate of 60Hz?  In other words, you generate 3990 frames in a second, but can only display 60 of them.
Maybe you should not be using glxgears as a benchmark.  It isn't.  Never was.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-04-14 15:06:27)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2016-04-14 15:48:03

arcangeli

Blender is faster too with direct nvidia.
I've tried to install/compile manually mesagl and nvidia. Installing them in directory not seen by ld. If i link the mesagl or nvidia libgl dir under /usr/lib , that work.
What i need is just something that automate this with arch package as done by gentoo eselect.
I'm using this gamer laptop as a workstation for work. The more faster it is with blender, the more faster i can work.

If it's not possible with arch, i have two choice. Use bumblebee or gentoo (better option). But i really prefer arch.
I may try with last bumblebee source code if there are some enhancement.

#8 2016-04-15 09:32:34

arcangeli

I've found a solution. I don't know if it is the best one but that work ok.
I'm using bumblebee for Intel OpenGL and CUDA. When i need more power for blender, i'll restart x without bumblebee and nvidia prime.
optirun --no-xorg (for rendering with cycles in background) offer the same performance than without bumblebee. As thus, i need to stop bumblebee only when i need more power for blender (not so often - mainly for final touch).

Thanks for your help and for opening my mind wink

#9 2016-04-15 20:17:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

There's no reason blender on bumblebee should be slower, if you're using optirun/primusrun to start it. If it is it's likely a bug either in bumblebee or blender, and deserves further analysis. Unfortunately blender on my laptop is 'fast enough' (I don't really use it, just play around a bit) even on Intel so I can't verify a difference.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2016-04-17 08:35:46

arcangeli

I know what the problem. I've compiled manually blender with OpenVDB (which wasn't on arch at installation time). Now, with bumblebee and the arch package for blender with openvdb work like a charm.
Less difference between bumblebee and prime.

And that work too with the Alienware Graphics Amplifier with a GTX 980Ti smile
Powerfull workstation on the desk and powerfull laptop on the way.

Thanks very much.

EDIT: The real problem come from primus. As i've compiled blender myself without installing it, i was using a little script to start blender with optirun -b primus path/to/blender. With the arch package of blender i always start it with optirun blender (which use VirtualGL). There's som bug in my brain, sorry wink

Last edited by arcangeli (2016-04-17 12:16:38)

Board footer