You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-16 18:20:49

NuSkool

System Update Broke Xorg, librsvg Related [SOLVED]

Performed a system update via pacman -Syu

Pacman output indicated a problem with librsvg. I tried to re-update it, and got the following error again.

(1/1) reinstalling librsvg                                                                     [#######################################################] 100%
g_module_open() failed for /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-svg.so: /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: FcWeightToOpenType

Upon a reboot, no GUI so I switched to tty1 and again tried re-updating librsvg, and again pacman reported the error.

Next I tried to update all AUR packages via pacaur -Syu. It failed so I ran pacaur -S pacaur and pacaur updated successfully.
Then I succeeded in updating all the AUR packages with pacaur -Syu
Ran pacman -S librsvg now resulted in no errors. Rebooted into lightdm and everything is good.

My question is how would I proceed with figuring out which AUR package broke pacman updating librsvg?

Last edited by NuSkool (2016-04-17 15:54:18)

#2 2016-04-16 18:45:05

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: System Update Broke Xorg, librsvg Related [SOLVED]

Partial updates are not supported. Your fontconfig is/was out of date.

Last edited by Scimmia (2016-04-16 18:45:57)

#3 2016-04-16 23:57:17

NuSkool

Thanks for the reply Scimmia. Could you please elaborate a little more?

Scimmia wrote:

Partial updates are not supported.

Yep, and as an Arch user, I'm well aware of this. I was not trying to figure out why the GUI was broke. It broke from a partial update, librsvg could not be updated. I did eventually manage to get things back to normal.

Would you recommending something like Yaourt, since it reportedly updates everything with a single click, ie: no partial updates? I'd rather avoid using it.

I prefer to update my system with pacman, then update AUR packages, one package at a time either manually or with pacaur. What would be the best way to update the system while handling AUR packages separately? AUR or arch repos first? Use pacaur for entire system updates? This just seems wrong to me for some reason. My GUI became mostly broken prior to the reboot. Otherwise I would have updated the AUR packages in GUI mode prior to rebooting.

Scimmia wrote:

Your fontconfig is/was out of date.

OK, it sounds like you already know this. My question was how would I figure this or a similar issue out in the future without having to ask? Would researching librsvg eventually lead me to whatever package handles fontconfig? It's AUR fontconfig-ubuntu in this case. I would be interested to learn why fontconfig could break the GUI, and the relationship between librsvg and fontconfig.

My goal with these questions are to be more self sufficient, and have to ask people for help less going forward.

#4 2016-04-17 02:28:33

Scimmia
Fellow

When you install packages from the AUR, you are taking on the responsibility of keeping them up to date. In this case, pango was built using the new version of fontconfig, which added new symbols. Your out of date version of fontconfig didn't have the necessary symbols, so things didn't work. This is the same as holding back an update from the repos (partial update).

I'm not sure there's a best method of keeping them up to date. Even with an AUR helper (like yaourt and others), you're still depending on the maintainer of the package to update it at exactly the same time as the repos are updated. Not to mention the question of what the maintainer does when one version of the package is in Core/Exra/Community and a different version is in Testing/Community-Testing. Really, you just have to pay close attention when replacing important libraries.

Last edited by Scimmia (2016-04-17 02:29:40)

#5 2016-04-17 15:55:37

NuSkool

Thanks Scimmia.

Board footer