You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-13 18:19:48

onearm
Website

Dell Inspiron 7548 and sensors

Hi all,

I'm using Redshift to adapt backlight to time of the day and it's working great. I would like to the screen to adapt its brightness to the current ambient light (sun, dark, night etc.), not just the time of the day so that if I go outside in direct sunlight the screen would automatically get brighter. I know my laptop has a light sensor as this feature is available under Windows but using this script to automatically change the brightness I noticed that I don't have a

/sys/bus/iio/devices/

directory, thus the script doesn't work. I recompiled the kernel including iio drivers as modules to no avail. Iioutils don't report any error, monitor-sensor doesn't output anything at all.

Anybody knows how to have the sensors detected? I know that on Ubuntu they seem to "just work" (didn't try myself though).

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#2 2016-04-18 19:32:26

onearm
Website

Re: Dell Inspiron 7548 and sensors

Nobody? No one has at least a Dell laptop with a light sensor that works?

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#3 2016-04-18 19:50:33

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

What have you tried? Did you search the web for other people with this problem? Or even search "dell 7548 light sensor linux"?

If nobody responded, it's because you either did not give enough information, or because no one has a solution. Bumping your thread won't help.

#4 2016-04-18 20:07:13

onearm
Website

Of course I searched, no results with my exact model but similar ones show up running fine on Ubuntu, as I wrote in the first post. It is possible to make it work then, I tried recompiling the kernel and loading one by one all IIO module without any results.

This issue on Github is from a similar model to my laptop and shows that sensors are at least detected, while for me I don't get anything to show in /sys/bus/acpi/devices/ACPI0008\:00/iio nor /sys/bus/iio/devices

I know I'm often terse but I did do my researches or I wouldn't have asked. Somebody must have a recent Dell laptop running fine...

--
My Github

#5 2016-04-18 20:43:01

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

I asked because I did that search and found several topics that might be helpful. Of course you already searched and did your researches, so good luck.

#6 2016-04-18 20:59:24

onearm
Website

Are you aware of the search engine filter bubble? I might be getting different results than you with the same query.

Does your religion prevent you from linking those topics here? That would be finally helpful, thanks.

--
My Github

Board footer