You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-14 02:32:06

Pacopag

[SOLVED] Wireless (rt2800usb / rtl8821ae) very slow

Hi.  I'm setting up a new arch system.  So far I pretty much just have the base system installed (no GUI yet).  But the wireless is very slow (~5-10kb/s).

The driver in use is pci:rtl8821ae, and it's a D-Link DWA-582.

I tried booting with the linux-lts kernel but that didn't work (some similar threads suggested downgrading the kernel, but I don't want to do that unless I absolutely must).

I tried compiling the driver from source (something I found on dlink.ru), but make fails.

I also ran Ubuntu Live CD.  It uses the same driver (rtl8821ae), but the card works perfectly fine in Ubuntu.

So far I've only connected using wifi-menu.  I usually use wicd, but wicd-curses seems broken.

I'm not sure what to.

Edit:
Also, *sometimes* after a reboot, I see the following after the login prompt.

rtlwifi: Firmware rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw.bin not avaliable
kvm: disabled by bios

I don't see this on every boot.

Edit:
My other machine also runs Arch, and the wireless is fine.  It has a D-link DWA-566 card in it, uses the ath9k driver and it works great.
I just tried putting that old card into the new system and it's even slower than the other one,

Last edited by Pacopag (2016-04-19 16:24:43)

#2 2016-04-14 13:01:32

Wilco

Re: [SOLVED] Wireless (rt2800usb / rtl8821ae) very slow

Try to install the linux firmware package with pacman

#3 2016-04-19 16:22:13

Pacopag

Re: [SOLVED] Wireless (rt2800usb / rtl8821ae) very slow

Sorry for the very late reply on this one.  Turns out my PSU was faulty and kept tripping the surge protection on my motherboard.  Got a new one and back up and running.

I'm quite sure the linux-firmware package was already installed, so that wasn't the issue.  I ended up switching to a usb dongle, but was seeing the same result; i.e. network speed was much slower than my other machines.

What seems to have fixed it is the following:
1. Boot up a Ubuntu live cd
2. Copy the contents of /etc/modprobe.d from Ubuntu
3. Reboot into your host and paste those files into your own /etc/modprobe.d

I'm not sure why this works, but likely something that gets blacklisted (or some other config) does the trick.  Also, if you want to be more diligent, you can probably exclude anything not related to the network (e.g. there is a bunch of alsa and oss stuff in there that probably doesn't matter).

Now I'm seeing speeds much closer to my usual maximums (which still suck, because I live in the bush).

Edit:  I chose the usb dongle over the pci card because it seems to detect my 5GHz networks but the pci card doesn't.

Last edited by Pacopag (2016-04-19 16:24:02)

Board footer