You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-05 04:50:57

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Hardware not supporting old kernels!!

Yesterday I bought M/board Asus P5V800 + Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3 … odelmenu=1

Either the new CPU (socket LGA775) or the M/borad, doesn't support Kernel-2.6.11 (my custom kernel) but the latest 2.6.16. I also tried Archie Live CD (2.6.x) and Knoppix 3.6 (2.4.x), doesn't work. In Knoppix booting freezes asking for "south bridge dma", in Archie no X support, and in HD no X and LAN support.

In Windows, doesn't support Win 98. Runs but cannot install some of the board sources. Drive install CD for 2000 and XP only.

<b>For my information, is this a common restriction of LGA775?</b>

Note: End of the day I sold the hardwares and upgraded my old Celeron (socket 478) to Pentium. Pentium 4 with Celeron doesn't work well managing heavy multitask work. Compiling apps and at the same running X apps freezing the machine.

Markku

#2 2006-05-08 04:13:34

Bysshe

Re: Hardware not supporting old kernels!!

Windows has shoddy driver support until 2000/XP.  I also found this out first hand trying to install Windows ME with what should be considered very old compatible drivers.  That's we me pops runs latest standard kernel with Arch Linux now.  It loves the hardware (not literally), but me pops loves the Arch.

So, it goes, backwards compatible is easy, forward compatible depends on too many things like driver unification and just how shoddy the OS is (MS).  I'm just amazed at how much of a mule the OS can be when it has trouble recognizing hardware.  so I had this thread:  "I would rather spend a week causually installing/configuring arch than the rest of my life installing Windows ME."...or something to that effect.

#3 2006-05-08 04:47:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Not LGA775, I've got a Pentium D based system that works flawlessly.

You made the terrible mistake of getting a Via based chipset. When buying my computer, Con Kolivas advised that I stay away from them like the plague as under linux, and in general, you get a lot of unusual problems like what you have mentioned.

Ended up with an intel chipset which runs perrrrfectly.

James

#4 2006-05-08 04:54:33

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

iphitus wrote:

You made the terrible mistake of getting a Via based chipset.

I had the choice either Via or Intel but went for Via because of my past bad experience to setup X with intel 810 and other 81x cipsets.

I am glad to hear Intel works now fine with Linux.

Markku

#5 2006-05-08 05:30:41

iphitus
Forum Fellow

rasat wrote:
iphitus wrote:

You made the terrible mistake of getting a Via based chipset.

I had the choice either Via or Intel but went for Via because of my past bad experience to setup X with intel 810 and other 81x cipsets.

I am glad to hear Intel works now fine with Linux.

I'm talking mobo chipset, not just the graphics.

As for graphics though, I use a PCIEX graphics card myself, so dealing with integrated intel wasnt an issue on this computer, however I never had any problems on my 855GM/GME chipset laptop.

James

#6 2006-05-08 06:32:14

stonecrest

rasat wrote:

I just recently got a laptop with an i810 chipset and it's working just fine. Even tested out xgl with it. It definitely had its fair share of problems in the past though, from what I've read (i.e. inability to do 1024x768 at 24 color depth).

I am a gated community.

#7 2006-05-08 06:46:27

Bysshe

Didn't the 810 have a bad memory controller anyway?

Just to add to the sentiment:

VIA I'm sure is slower on the uptake in helping the open-source community to get their hardware stable in Linux.   Windows is sometimes a bit of a runaround also if you're not reading closely.  I think given a matter of time, your board will become more stable with new software releases.

Intel or Nvidia chipsets for Intel, and AMD or Nvidia for AMD processors are likely the first to get stable Linux support.  So, yeah, I tend to agree with the possibility of not having full support yet with your board.  Cheers to Con Kolivas, whoever that dude is.  ???

#8 2006-05-08 08:29:44

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Bysshe wrote:

Cheers to Con Kolivas, whoever that dude is.  ???

he's a Kernel Developer smile

Board footer