You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-13 18:08:09

nticompass
Website

firefox-developer not displaying forms correctly

I have both extra/firefox and aur/firefox-developer installed on my system, both with separate profiles.  Things display properly in firefox, but in firefox-developer, forms are displaying incorrectly.

Checkboxes and radios are invisible!  I can see when they are checked, but unchecked ones are hidden.

Here's a screenshot from the bootstrap docs showing the issue:
IgcRdZk.jpg

What can I do to try to fix this display issue?

#2 2016-04-13 18:09:41

ewaller
Administrator

Re: firefox-developer not displaying forms correctly

Think it might be GTK3?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-04-13 18:43:21

skunkos
Website

Beta and dev version of firefox does not have some GTK-related patches and may render GTK stuff differently than main stable firefox package.

#4 2016-04-14 04:56:55

m00nman

I actually have a very similar if not the same problem in official firefox package. On top of that highlighting does not work (i.e. you highligh the website address in address bar but it is not visible, I know it works because I can hit backspace and it erases the whole thing instead of one character). It also happens in Kalu or anything that's gtk (I am using Plasma) Has anyone encountered this?

#5 2016-04-14 14:13:12

nticompass
Website

ewaller wrote:

Think it might be GTK3?

skunkos wrote:

Beta and dev version of firefox does not have some GTK-related patches and may render GTK stuff differently than main stable firefox package.

This was my thought, too.  I think a GTK update was when this started happening, because firefox-developer used to display just fine.  This started happening recently.

#6 2016-04-14 14:29:13

ChemBro

I don't know, if this is the same problem: I had problems with firefox not displaying forms correctly until I found a solution in the KDE/Plasma thread. I had to edit ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini. And there, I had to change gtk-theme-name=Breeze into gtk-theme-name=breeze. Maybe the solution to your problem is similar.

#7 2016-04-14 15:44:51

nticompass
Website

ChemBro wrote:

I don't know, if this is the same problem: I had problems with firefox not displaying forms correctly until I found a solution in the KDE/Plasma thread. I had to edit ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini. And there, I had to change gtk-theme-name=Breeze into gtk-theme-name=breeze. Maybe the solution to your problem is similar.

I don't currently have a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini file but I wonder if this is related to the issue here.  I'm actually using Enlightenment (not GNOME or KDE) as my desktop, so I wonder if there is something mis-configured with GTK and/or its themes.

Last edited by nticompass (2016-04-14 15:45:30)

#8 2016-04-15 08:18:17

rubenvb

ChemBro wrote:

I can verify that this fixes e.g. the button style in the close dialog in normal (non-dev) firefox. Seems like a subtle bug/breakage somewhere between breeze-gtk and gtk 3.0.

#9 2016-04-15 14:38:47

nticompass
Website

Unless I'm doing something wrong, changing GTK themes isn't helping firefox-developer render checkboxes/radios.  I even tried installing different Firefox themes!  Checkboxes still don't like to render sad

I'm guessing it's something to do with the fact that I am running Enlightenment, maybe I missed some settings or something.  Or maybe firefox-developer *is* missing some GTK theme patch.

Normal firefox works fine.

Last edited by nticompass (2016-04-15 15:41:32)

#10 2016-04-16 17:06:34

Convergence

ChemBro wrote:

I was having the same problem, and this fixed it.  If I was in openbox or plasma, FF would not render radio buttons, check boxes, highlighting was invisible, and the scroll bar was missing.  There were probably more elements missing or distorted as well.  Strangely, if I used gnome as a desktop, everything was fine.  Also, chromium was completely unaffected.

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#11 2016-04-16 17:14:21

Convergence

So, if I'm reading this thread correctly, it doesn't seem to be firefox-developer specific. I'm not sure why the OP is only having the issue under -developer though.  If this applies to both current and -developer editions of FF, maybe it would be appropriate to retitle the thread?  That might make it easier for others that are having this problem to find the solution.

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#12 2016-04-16 17:58:48

marcelo.origoni

I'm also having the same issue.

I use the Ambiance-Flat-Aqua theme, changing gtk-theme-name=Ambiance-Flat-Aqua, to all lower case didn't work.

I'm completely sure it's a gtk3 issue, since some dialogs in cinnamon are also not displaying properly

#13 2016-04-16 18:01:21

Scimmia
Fellow

So read any of the multiple other threads about GTK3 and themes.

#14 2016-04-20 16:51:08

MarSoft

I have the same problem. Changed GTK3 theme from Adwaita to Breeze, now checkboxes/radiobuttons display properly but regular buttons and comboboxes do not..

#15 2016-05-04 19:35:50

nticompass
Website

I got my firefox working properly by using the `adapta-gtk-theme`.

Board footer