You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-21 19:01:38

Robert42

Newbie with a couple of issues I cannot resolve.

Greetings, after about 40 hours I have my installation up and running, Arch with Cinnamon. I came from Mint via Manjaro (crashing on boot) & Antergos (some display issues). Overall I love Arch.

I just have a couple of issues that I have not properly resolved. Yaourt requested I set the variable for the text editor in my ~/bashrc, I did it this way;

export VISUAL=qedit
export EDITOR="$VISUAL"

I now get the error message;

/usr/lib/yaourt/util.sh: line 227: qedit: command not found

How do I fix it?

Trying to install Octopi, at the end of compiling I get this;

==> Building octopi-notifier...
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: KNotifications
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build octopi.
==> Restart building octopi ? [y/N]

That's above me.

I have managed to install tkPacman but its not really what I was looking for. What is the name of the GUI package manager in Manjaro & Antergos.

Thanks

Robert...

#2 2016-04-21 19:19:23

der_joachim
Website

Re: Newbie with a couple of issues I cannot resolve.

To be honest, I never heard of the qedit editor, nor can I find it in the repositories. Are you certain that the editor was installed? The executable may not be in your $PATH. Update your $PATH, reread your bashrc and you should be set.

As for your octopi problem: it seems that not all required libraries were installed.

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#3 2016-04-21 20:24:32

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

Robert42 wrote:

Yaourt requested I set the variable for the text editor in my ~/bashrc

I assume you mean "~/.bashrc". Computers need precision! wink

Robert42 wrote:

Trying to install Octopi... Yaourt... tkPacman...

Have you learned how to install packages by using "pacman" and "makepkg"? If not, please consider learning before using any sort of package manager helper or GUI. With Arch Linux, package manager helpers are only meant to help ease the task of of installing packages, not replace the knowledge of how package installation is done.

Robert42 wrote:

What is the name of the GUI package manager in Manjaro & Antergos.

I don't know. I'm afraid you'll have to ask the users of Manjaro or Antergos.

Last edited by drcouzelis (2016-04-21 20:25:09)

#4 2016-04-21 21:12:26

Robert42

Thank you for the replies. Yes that was a typo and it is indeed "~/.bashrc". gedit is a gui text editor in /usr/bin which is in the path.
Octopi requires on dependency "qt5-declarative" which is installed.
I have installed several packages with yaourt only octopi fails.

#5 2016-04-21 21:40:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That is may be because the PKGBUILD is broken or octopi itself is crappy software. I wouldn't rule our either scenario. Just use pacman as your package manager.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2016-04-21 22:56:14

ShaneRoach

Robert42 wrote:

gedit is a gui text editor in /usr/bin which is in the path.

Looks like a typo of gedit to me. You even pasted it twice as qedit in your initial post.

Crossing my fingers for you.

#7 2016-04-22 06:45:15

Robert42

ShameRoach how embarrassing getting my 'g & q" mixed up. I was exhausted after a marathon session trying to get Arch established. The thing was I had to have a system up and running in a basic way fairly quickly. I know it's not the Arch way is it?

#8 2016-04-22 09:07:32

JohnBobSmith

Well, this will show you The Arch Way: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Principles

EDIT: In regards to time required to have a functional system, that depends on the skill of the user and internet speed. Internet speed because just about everything must be acquired from the official repositories via the internet. And if you are a complete beginner, it will take longer to setup in general. Install speed has nothing to do with Arch as a system, less the fact that we don't have an automated installer.

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-04-22 09:10:02)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#9 2016-04-22 10:24:09

Irok

Hi, forget about Octopi, in my experience do not work correctly, As beginner I guess you want something confortable Kaos style. Is not how Arch works, you will probably mess with the system using GUI. Try if you want AppSet-qt but only as help to find something. With Cinnamon and Lightdm you should not have any problem if the installation is correct. I do not like to say this not for you or something like that, I only suggest that you try Kaos, I think is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Irok (2016-04-22 13:51:52)

#10 2016-04-22 10:47:04

TheChickenMan

Robert42 wrote:

I just have a couple of issues that I have not properly resolved. Yaourt requested I set the variable for the text editor in my ~/bashrc, I did it this way;

export VISUAL=qedit
export EDITOR="$VISUAL"

I now get the error message;

How do I fix it?

I would just select something simple as $EDITOR like nano or vim.
It's usually nice and simple to just have a command line editor come up when doing package installs. Just my .02

Last edited by TheChickenMan (2016-04-22 10:48:56)

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#11 2016-04-22 11:46:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please edit your first post to chose a title that represents your question: or at least has some informational content.  You've posted in the Newbie corner, so saying you're a Newbie in the title is redundant.  You've posted in a technical support forum, so saying you have issues you cannot resolve is redundant.  So the current title is a complete informational void that may as well just be blank.  The title should indicate what the issues are so the right people will be attracted to the thread to help.  As is, this title just attracts "rubber neckers" who come to see just how big of a trainwreck it is (that's why I came).

Also note that if you left Antergos and Manjaro because they didn't work well for you, you may want to reconsider your strategy of trying to force arch linux into being just like Antergos or Manjaro: as already suggested, learn how to use the proper package management tools in arch linux (i.e., pacman and makepkg).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#12 2016-04-22 16:14:36

c00ter

Trilby wrote:

Please edit your first post to chose a title that represents your question: or at least has some informational content.  You've posted in the Newbie corner, so saying you're a Newbie in the title is redundant.  You've posted in a technical support forum, so saying you have issues you cannot resolve is redundant.  So the current title is a complete informational void that may as well just be blank.  The title should indicate what the issues are so the right people will be attracted to the thread to help.  As is, this title just attracts "rubber neckers" who come to see just how big of a trainwreck it is (that's why I came).

Also note that if you left Antergos and Manjaro because they didn't work well for you, you may want to reconsider your strategy of trying to force arch linux into being just like Antergos or Manjaro: as already suggested, learn how to use the proper package management tools in arch linux (i.e., pacman and makepkg).

The logic in these statements is why I love Arch. Thank you.

Regards

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer