You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-26 08:05:42

remus

GParted partition resizing gone wrong

I just tried resizing my Arch Linux Home partition by booting to a GParted live system, like I've done several times in the past.
This time, however, after each step (deleting partitions 2 and 3, resizing 1) I got a cryptic warning popup about not being able to notify the Kernel of the changes. And then, the last step even produced an error message and said it failed.

I was horrified, of course, and rebooted to my Arch installation fearing the worst, but fortunately it seems to not have destroyed anything, all my data is still here.

However:
- Right-clicking in Nautilus and selecting "Properties" still gives me a "Free space" of just 1.4 GB, like before.
- gnome-disks, on the other hand, reports the correct partition size of 3 TB, but says only 106 GB of that is free (even though I just resized by more than 800 GB).

So, now my question is: how do I find out what's broken and how can I fix it – both, of course, as safely as possible. (I did make a backup of the most vital data before, but there's naturally still tons of stuff I'd hate to lose.)

I've also saved the "GParted Details" file, as the program said I should: HTML, plain text.

Any help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

#2 2016-04-26 12:25:36

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: GParted partition resizing gone wrong

I would backup, repartition and copy things back. You are warned to do a backup before doing changes for a good reason, things can go wrong. From what you say there was no data loss, let that be a valuable lesson wink

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer