You are not logged in.

#26 2016-03-03 12:47:06

chickenPie4tea

Re: Surf hacking - Share (or request) patches

IF Surf is based on the WebKit engine like DWB and luakit is it going to be any good?
I thought that browsers that used that engine, were sort of crashy and had problems, am I wrong?

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#27 2016-04-29 14:51:00

dz

chickenPie4tea wrote:

IF Surf is based on the WebKit engine like DWB and luakit is it going to be any good?
I thought that browsers that used that engine, were sort of crashy and had problems, am I wrong?

My surf installation crashes on JavaScript-heavy websites consistently.  I can't be sure if this is because of my patches, but they are very minimal, so I think this systemic to the software.

#28 2016-04-30 16:26:07

Steef435
Website

I don't use surf myself, but you could give the surf-webkit2 branch a try. From my experience with WebKit2GTK+ it's a lot more stable. Does require gtk3 though, and I don't know whether your patches will fly with it. Apparently someone already made an aur package for it.

#29 2016-05-09 14:54:21

dz

Steef435 wrote:

I don't use surf myself, but you could give the surf-webkit2 branch a try. From my experience with WebKit2GTK+ it's a lot more stable. Does require gtk3 though, and I don't know whether your patches will fly with it. Apparently someone already made an aur package for it.

Thank you!  No crashes since I switched to this.

#30 2016-10-21 02:57:35

Docbroke

After switching to surf-webkit2gtk-git, almost all sites open properly without crashes. However I have found a small issue, that surf blocks some popups by default and I couldn't find how to allow them. On the same site using chromium I get popup blocked icon and I am able to allow popup for the site, How to do that with surf?

#31 2016-10-21 13:30:10

sekret

@Steef435, that "someone" has an alias wink

I hope this branch will become the default very soon!

Last edited by sekret (2016-10-21 13:30:53)

#32 2017-08-10 01:14:03

enois

I've been using Surf only for a few days and I really like it, but I was missing the possibility to directly open a pdf in a new tab. I searched and I didn't find anything useful (honestly, I think ‘surf’ is not the best name for a browser lol ) but I found a solution that seems to work. I'm posting this because it might be helpful to someone or - probably - someone knows a better way to do that.

NB: I'm not a programmer, nor an experienced user. I just googled and tried, and googled and tried again until it worked...

I wrote this little script and saved it in $PATH as surf_pdf. It basically extracts the name of the downloaded file from the url and if it is a pdf opens Zathura:

#!/bin/sh

file=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.*\///')

if [  ${1: -4} == '.pdf' ]; then
    cd /home/<user>/download
    zathura $file
fi

Then I modified the DOWNLOAD definition in config.h including the script and passing it $2, which is the url of the download:

#define DOWNLOAD(d, r) { \
        .v = (const char *[]){ "/bin/sh", "-c", \
             "xterm -e /bin/sh -c \"cd /home/<user>/download && curl -g -L -J -O --user-agent '$1'" \
             " --referer '$2' -b $3 -c $3 '$0';" \
             " sleep 1;\" && surf_pdf $2", \
             d, useragent, r, cookiefile, NULL \
        } \ 
}

Now after the download Zathura opens the pdf file (and since I use Surf in i3wm with the tabbed layout, the result is the pdf file opened in new tab).

What do you think? Is it good enough or is there a way to improve it/a better solution?

Board footer