You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-30 20:36:16

brevity

Some editors could not find texlive path in gnome

After a manual installation of texlive 2015 following the Texlive guide, and of course setting the PATH environment variable via /etc/profile.d/texlive.sh to include /usr/local/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/ and install the texlive-dummy package in the AUR, a very strange thing happened: I can use texlive normally via a terminal, but it seems that in gnome, the gui editors does not search this path. In emacs, when I check the exec-path, it shows only

("/usr/local/sbin" "/usr/local/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/usr/bin" "/usr/lib/emacs/24.5/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu")

. And of course, editors like texmaker or texstudio also could not find the texlive installation. I figure perhaps gnome has some special way of customizing its environment variables for gui applications, but after browsing the wiki, I couldn't figure out how. I tried .xprofile, .pam_environment etc. Nothing works. So any ideas ?

#2 2016-04-30 20:44:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Some editors could not find texlive path in gnome

It's not strange at all if you use a display manager.  Setting the path in /etc/profile.d only applies to login shell sessions and processes that are children of login shell sessions.  If you start X via xinit/startx from a tty, it would work.  But if you use a DM you'll need to source the profile in one of the DM/DE startup files that other processes inherit from.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-04-30 21:38:52

brevity

Trilby wrote:

If you start X via xinit/startx from a tty, it would work.

Yes, as you said, if I use startx, everything works.

Trilby wrote:

But if you use a DM you'll need to source the profile in one of the DM/DE startup files that other processes inherit from.

Could you specify how I can do this, please ?  Because after I added

source /etc/profile

in .xprofile and use gdm, still I can't use the gui editors to compile latex. Plus, according to the output of

grep profile /etc/gdm/Xsession

, which is

# This is why we source the profile files below.
# First read /etc/profile and .profile
test -f /etc/profile && . /etc/profile
test -f "$HOME/.profile" && . "$HOME/.profile"
# Second read /etc/xprofile and .xprofile for X specific setup
test -f /etc/xprofile && . /etc/xprofile
test -f "$HOME/.xprofile" && . "$HOME/.xprofile"

shouldn't gdm source /etc/profile by default ?

So I guess the problem is in gdm then, or I made some stupid mistake ?

#4 2016-04-30 23:16:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I have no idea how gdm works.  Does it use ~/.xprofile?  I don't see a mention of that file on the gdm wiki page.  What is in ~/.xprofile?  Did you add that line before gnome (or whatever) is launched?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-05-01 01:00:11

brevity

I thought gdm should load /etc/gdm/Xsession according to https://help.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable … on.html.en, and as a consequence, it seems it should source /etc/profile already. And yes, I added that line before gdm is launched, and still no luck. I really don't understand what's wrong here.

#6 2016-05-01 01:19:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What do you mean you added the line before gdm?  Gdm definitely shouldn't be started from ~/.xprofile.  Post the actual contents of that file.

#7 2016-05-01 01:44:14

brevity

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant I created ~/.xprofile with the following contents:

$ cat ~/.xprofile 
source /etc/profile
export PATH="/usr/local/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/:${PATH}"

and then I reboot the system.

EDIT 1:
I tried also using only one of the two lines, always failed to find tex path in texmaker or emacs by logging in via gdm.

EDIT 2:
I am sure ~/.xprofile and ~/.pam_environment are indeed loaded since I can successfully set other variables there. So I am thinking maybe gdm reset the PATH variable after loading ~/.xprofile, ~/.pam_environment etc.

Last edited by brevity (2016-05-01 02:13:08)

#8 2016-05-01 15:40:18

brevity

I found that even without any .xprofile, .pam_environment etc., I can use texlive if I first start the editor(e.g., texmaker) and then use the editor to open the .tex file, but if I open the file directly by double click on it, the texlive path is lost again !

#9 2016-05-01 15:49:42

brevity

OK, now I think the problem is nautilus. I tried installing dolphin in gnome and from dolphin double click to open tex files, everything works just fine. It seems I have a problem only when using nautilus in gnome, strange...

EDIT
Yeah, it is nautilus which resets the PATH ! I launch a terminal by right click in nautilus and choose the open in terminal tab. A terminal opens, and

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

Don't know how to fix this.

Last edited by brevity (2016-05-01 15:55:20)

#10 2016-05-01 16:33:02

brevity

Obviously, it's a nautilus bug since gnome 3.16, and yet to be fixed.

Board footer