You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-02 14:00:08

rollinDyno

Sound card can't find analog device

I am on an Acer CB3-111 Chromebook and haven't been able to set up sound properly since I installed arch about a month ago.

I reckon I have tried 2 solutions that have placed me very far from a default config and I'm in a point I can no longer help myself. I will list these 2 attempts and I will also show what I find when I inspect my sound system.

First thing I did was follow the instructions in the following link:
https://plus.google.com/+JamesFuBEEFCAK … f4Pc5Z8reH

It was the only resource I could find where someone using the same computer I have managed to have fully functioning sound. This means I overwrote my /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file.

I didn't try speaker-test before doing so, because I didn't know about the command. After overwriting my asound.state file, youtube videos still wouldn't output sound but speaker-test was working. This is why I don't think I ruined anything by modifying asound.state, also because someone else using a CB3-111 is using the same file.

I then went to IRC ask for help and someone told me to install pulseaudio and pavucontrol. After rebooting, speaker-test stopped working. IRC guy stopped helping.

I was left alone once again and this morning I have tried to understand what exactly is missing. I've learned to inspect my card, although still in a very limited sense because I still don't know what I should be looking for. However, I think my sound card is missing devices.

These are the cards in my machine, according to cat /proc/asound/cards:

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xd0914000 irq 265

This is the manufacture details according to lspci -v | grep -i audio

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0e)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller

If I go to alsamixer, the card and chip will be pulseaudio. But by choosing to change devices, my other option would be card HDA Intel PCH and chip Intel Valleyview2 HDMI.

According to cat /proc/asound/devices, these are the number of devices attached to my sound card:

2: [ 0]   : control
  3: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
  4: [ 0- 7]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 2]: hardware dependent
 33:        : timer

aplay --list-devices give me the details:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This is where I realise that all devices attached to my sound card are only for HDMI, I think I'm missing an analog one.

More information about my system in case it's needed:

grep snd /proc/asound/modules:

0 snd_hda_intel

lsmod | grep snd

snd_hda_codec_hdmi     53248  1
snd_intel_sst_acpi     16384  0
snd_intel_sst_core     65536  1 snd_intel_sst_acpi
snd_soc_max98090       86016  0
snd_soc_sst_mfld_platform    77824  1 snd_intel_sst_core
snd_soc_sst_match      16384  1 snd_intel_sst_acpi
snd_soc_core          180224  2 snd_soc_sst_mfld_platform,snd_soc_max98090
snd_compress           20480  1 snd_soc_core
snd_hda_intel          36864  2
snd_hda_codec         106496  2 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core           49152  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_dmaengine      16384  1 snd_soc_core
ac97_bus               16384  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                86016  8 snd_soc_core,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_sst_mfld_platform,snd_soc_max98090,snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              28672  1 snd_pcm
snd                    65536  13 snd_soc_core,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_sst_mfld_platform,snd_compress
soundcore              16384  1 snd

cat /proc/asound/version

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.5.1-1-ARCH.

I hope all of this details can shine a light for more experienced eyes. Let me know if there's anything else I need to know before fixing this up.

#2 2016-05-02 15:01:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Sound card can't find analog device

In the very link you posted, multiple people are talking about the fact that kernel 4.5 seems to have broken detection of the analog card. Therefore what happens if you try to use linux-lts which is still on 4.4?

I then went to IRC ask for help and someone told me to install pulseaudio and pavucontrol. After rebooting, speaker-test stopped working. IRC guy stopped helping.

*facedesk* I can't be everywhere but blindly suggesting  to install pulseaudio will not help anyone (although I am a proponent of pulse and like the features it brings, this is not going to be a solution that helps when the kernel already doesn't detect your card)

Last edited by V1del (2016-05-02 15:09:04)

Board footer