You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-05 21:13:09

apex8

libvirt host freeze

Hi,

I have the problem that creating a domain in virt manager or libvirt freezes my host at the point when I run the new domain to start the installation. Meanwhile I believe that this is a memory issue. I guess when starting the VM memory will be reserved, but if there isn't as much available as it is given in the domain setup the host freezes.
The reason might be my host setup, because I have 16gb in total, but 8gb are reserved for hugepages. So I would say for the host 8gb out of the 16gb are never available. I don't run much software here at the moment, basically just the gnome session, so 8gb should still be enough.
I may have found a workaround some minutes ago in giving the VM 128M ram or less for the beginning. Later this can be set to use the hugepages via editing the domain xml. But even when I shut down the VM and start it up again the host freeze can occur again. Also I noticed that when the VM was running I saw two qemu processes by using htop.
So anyway, libvirt not being able to allocate the necessary amount of memory shouldn´t freeze the host.
Can somebody explain some backgrounds or confirm if this is a bug or a configuration issue of mine?

Thanks and best regards
apex

Last edited by apex8 (2016-05-05 21:15:29)

Board footer