You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-04 04:06:22

gajo
Website

KDE: Unresponsive task manager (OpenGL apps) & screen flashing

After a recent system update I have two new KDE issues.
1. The task manager becomes unresponsive (freezes without ever changing the list of programs) after I launch an OpenGL application. I have to kill the shell and start it again (killall plasmashell; plasmashell)
2. After some time (not sure what causes it), my screen starts flashing. If i change the virtual desktop it will stop, but also start again whenever a new window pops up (including File Open dialogues for example). This is really disrupting normal workflow.

#2 2016-05-04 08:03:49

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: KDE: Unresponsive task manager (OpenGL apps) & screen flashing

I have neither of those issues. If you want help with them you should post more relevant information, like journal logs, graphics cards and drivers, Xorg configuration, versions of packages etcetc.

Last edited by V1del (2016-05-04 08:07:14)

#3 2016-05-04 08:52:53

ChemBro

I don't have the first problem, but the second since Plasma 5.6.x. Happens to me, when I play games in fullscreen on the primary monitor. Plasma disables desktop effects for fullscreen applications, but after ending the game, the enabled desktop effects start to flicker, with wrong shadows... Disabling the effects stops that, though.... no more desktop effects either (until restarting the desktop).

#4 2016-05-05 14:14:18

gajo
Website

Unless I'm given exact commands to execute and logs to provide, I'll just assume archlinux has a bugged KDE and switch to a different *DE.

In case anyone else has the issue, I can confirm ChemBro's assertion that disabling effects (Alt + Shift + F12 I think..) will stop the flickering.
I haven't yet found a way to fix the OpenGL issue with task managers.

#5 2016-05-06 06:55:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

That's not how it works here, and seeing as you have been around for a while you should know that... I already gave you a partial list of things that might help with narrowing this down and with the info we have all I can say is works for me, there's a good chance it is something on your side.

Board footer