You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 04:47:05

nueadkie

Modern hard drive head parking

Do recent laptop hard drives automatically park themselves when they detect shocks, without the help of the operating system or other software? As in, do they have the built in functionality to park themselves  without having to interface with the operating system?

I just got a Samsung Spinpoint M9T, and installed hdapsd on my laptop to protect it, but it's so sensitive that I can't use it. As in, my laptop just refused to continue booting after a certain point while riding a bus, presumably when it loaded the hdapsd daemon.
I've also tried editing /etc/systemd/system/hdapsd.service.d/sensitivity.conf to

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/hdapsd --sensitivity=80 -blp

but nothing seemed to happen, it still parked the drive if I so much as shifted a little while having the laptop in my lap.

If it changes anything, I have to say that the hard drive is a second hard drive in the UltraBay of my Thinkpad. The adapter for the hard drive seems to be just a "dumb" enclosure, with no functionality other than to keep the drive in place in the UltraBay.

#2 2016-05-10 09:21:51

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Modern hard drive head parking

I'd say you answered your own question:

nueadkie wrote:

As in, my laptop just refused to continue booting after a certain point while riding a bus, presumably when it loaded the hdapsd daemon.

If you are unsure, next time try booting without the hdapsd daemon.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer