You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-13 05:28:28

UnderscoreX3

Arch freezes while booting

Hello everyone.
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new computer, a MSI GT80 titan. The first thing I did when i got it was uninstall windows and attempt to install Linux, but the ubuntu installer was freezing. I tried installing Ubuntu using "quiet splash nomodeset" and "nomodeset" and this allowed me to boot ubuntu, but then the installer would crash shortly after it installed / set up grub.

I have tried using different USB keys and different linux distributions, but for each one I would be required to boot it using nomodeset and this would later result in the installer crashing.

I have experience with Arch linux and I figured that since the installers are crashing I could just install it manually myself and use Arch, which is one of my favourite linux distributions anyways. However, when I boot arch from my USB it says:

:: running early hook [udev]
starting version 229
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
_

I am unable to boot the installer as it freezes after Triggering uevents. My question is how I can get around this, I am able to do it with Legacy mode instead of UEFI mode but this simply will not work for me in the long run. It is very disconcerting that no linux distribution can be cleanly installed on this computer. I have tried researching this and the only thing I found that seemed relevant was a customer's review on amazon saying he was "very dissapointed". He also said:

"3) The SSD is not an SSD, Linux would not install on it because it was not an SSD it was two SSD's that were in RAID. I only learned of this after they had been removed and replaced by a single SSD. If I had know they were in RAID I would have simply removed the RAID and had two SSD's."

Does anyone think that this could be cause of my problem? I am losing patience and didn't know where else to turn, at this point any advice / input would be appreciated. I dropped 4 thousand on this laptop and I would hate to be confined to windows on it, but I digress. Anyways, how would I get it to stop freezing at Triggering uevents? There does not seem to be any way to use nomodeset with regards to booting arch, and I wouldn't think that this would work for me anyways because for 3 other linux distributions it led to the installer crashing.

Last edited by UnderscoreX3 (2016-05-13 05:35:56)

#2 2016-05-13 17:59:43

alex.theoto

Re: Arch freezes while booting

Is secure boot disabled?
There is a workaround using arch with secure boot.

#3 2016-05-14 11:30:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Arch freezes while booting

^ The Arch live ISO image should boot and run just fine with Secure Boot enabled.

UnserscoreX3 wrote:

I am able to do it with Legacy mode instead of UEFI mode but this simply will not work for me

You can boot and install in Legacy mode then run `bootctl install` to copy the systemd-boot .efi loader to $ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI -- this should then boot automatically once UEFI mode is engaged with no further modifications.

Board footer