You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-11 18:33:51

Goran

Chromium 50 font rendering looks uglier/thicker.

I don't have a "before" screen shot, but this is what it looks like now:

http://i.imgur.com/xzZphzB.png

Fonts look thicker, and generally less crisp than they were previously. I think this is especially obvious with the tab label, and url text.

Did anyone encounter this before? Is there a way to fix it.

PS: Is there a reason why official repositories only provide Chromium instead of Chrome? It seems like I assume that Chrome would be more stable, and therefore a better choice for the official repo, instead of being an AUR only thing.

Last edited by Goran (2016-05-12 19:48:43)

#2 2016-05-11 19:33:19

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Chromium 50 font rendering looks uglier/thicker.

Goran wrote:

Did anyone encounter this before? Is there a way to fix it.

Yes, I see it too but didn't look for a fix.

Goran wrote:

PS: Is there a reason why official repositories only provide Chromium instead of Chrome? It seems like Chrome would be more stable, and therefore a better choice for the official repo, instead of being an AUR only thing.

What data do you have that would lead you to that conclusion [stable]?  Chrome is provided as a binary from upstream/whereas chromium is provided as source and can be compiled.  The latter is nearly universally preferred.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2016-05-12 20:05:15

Goran

graysky wrote:

Yes, I see it too but didn't look for a fix.

Well, having someone confirm it is a start, I guess.

What data do you have that would lead you to that conclusion [stable]?  Chrome is provided as a binary from upstream/whereas chromium is provided as source and can be compiled.  The latter is nearly universally preferred.

I assume that it would be more stable, because it's an official google product release, instead of being the latest compilation (with the latest libraries on arch) of the open source project from which the product is derived - Perhaps it's tested more rigorously, to ensure that actual users don't have these kinds of problems.

I had similar consistency problems with the arch version of Blender 3D, which lacked features that were available in the statically linked version offered on the official blender website.

So, experiences like those guide my reasoning here, but, of course, I could be wrong.

#4 2016-05-14 13:45:51

twelveeighty

Goran wrote:

Fonts look thicker, and generally less crisp than they were previously.

This probably won't help you much, but I have actually noticed the exact opposite: ever since v50, my fonts look *much* better on Chromium. I don't have a before/after, but here's a screenshot of now: http://imgur.com/lDLg8Oj.

I don't think this matters for font rendering, but I run the stock KDE from [extra].

I wonder if this is a matter of not having a particular font installed and the font that is substituted looks bad?

Board footer