You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-16 22:10:42

PogMat

xmodmap and modifier

Hi all,
I followed the arch xmodmap guide but I still have some question:

1) for every keycode I have 8 entries: normal, shift, mode_switch, mode_switch + shift, altgr, altrgr + shift. Then other two which I don't know. What are they? How can I reach them?
2) I understand the role of Mode_switch modifier, but I cannot understand how to use mod2 mod3 and mod4, how can I use them in order to get other symbols?

Thank you

#2 2016-05-16 22:43:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: xmodmap and modifier

1) emphasis added:

man xmodmap wrote:

keycode NUMBER = KEYSYMNAME ...
    The list of keysyms is assigned to the indicated keycode (which may be specified in decimal, hex or octal and can be determined by running the xev program).   Up to eight keysyms may be attached to a key, however the last four are not used in any major X server implementation.  The first keysym is used when no modifier key is pressed in conjunction with this key, the second with Shift, the third when the Mode_switch key is used with this key and the fourth when both the  Mode_switch and Shift keys are used.

2) What do you mean?  These are keysyms, what do you want to do with them?  Mod1 is (normally) Alt, Mod4 is (normaly) the "Super" or "Win" key.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-05-16 22:58:55

PogMat

Re: xmodmap and modifier

1) I've also read the man pages, but I found experimentally that really 4th and 5th entries are obtained by pressing altgr+key and altgr+shift+key. I was wondering if there is any combination to get the 7th and 8th entries, practically;
2) My question ultimately is if it's possible to add another key (let's call it "modx") such that modx + key gives another symbol?

Board footer