You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-27 02:42:01

punkrockguy318
Website

Backup

Okay, I need to reformat my hard disk.  Is there some way I can do this without having to reinstall everything?  Here's what I would do basically:

#In AMLUG (the arch live cd
cd /mnt/hdb3 # The partition i need saved
mkdir /mnt/hda/archlinux
cp * /mnt/hda/archlinux

Then, I would put in the Arch linux install cd, and do a normal install, and reformat my entire disk.

In amlug, I would do this...

cd /mnt/hdb3
rm -rf *
cp /mnt/hda/archlinux/* .
chroot .
lilo

Would that work?  I don't wanna try, and screw everything up!

PS:  What FS should I use when I reformat?  ext2? ext3? rfs? xfs?  something else?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-02-27 04:37:12

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Backup

punkrockguy318 wrote:

Would that work?  I don't wanna try, and screw everything up!

What you are asking, I am not sure if you plan to copy to another HDD...."reformat my <b>entire</b> disk".

<b>Hints:</b>
To copy everything including folders, include option "-R". To maintain file permissions "-a". Example:

cp -Ra * /mnt/hda/archlinux

If you want to format only, you can also do it from the AL-AMLUG CD. First unmount the partition you plan to format and then run a filesystem code in /dev. Example, ext3 for /dev/hda3.

mke2fs -j /dev/hda3

If you have booted in to an existing system (HDD) and want to copy everything to another partition or HDD, don't copy /dev, /proc and /tmp..... make empty folders only.

Markku

#3 2004-02-27 12:36:22

punkrockguy318
Website

Re: Backup

hdb is my linux disk. hda is my winxp disk (ntfs).  sorry if i didn't make it clear.  i need to reformat hdb

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

Board footer