You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-17 00:34:25

Shubby

Unable to update zfs-linux-lts from unofficial archzfs repo

Hi folks,
Let me preface this by getting two things out of the way:
- I'm not new to Linux, but pretty new to Arch. Been tinkering with it for a couple of years now but only took the plunge to actually install it on my machines a couple of months ago.
- This is already fixed and all is well, I'm just not sure if I fixed it "right".

I use ZFS on Linux via the zfs-linux-lts package. I use -lts because I default to the linux-lts kernel on my boxes.

A couple of days ago, kernel v4.4.10-LTS came out, and since ZoL must be updated accordingly, I saw the maintainer of zfs-linux-lts had also updated his packages for the new kernel. It bears mentioning that he recently migrated away from the regular AUR and set up an unofficial repo, which I set up on my machines (meaning: I added it to my pacman.conf, got the maintainer's GPG key, added it to my local keyring and signed it). However this was the first time I set up an unofficial repo, and also the first time I had to install an update through that repo instead of the normal AUR/pkgbuild process.

So I was wondering if someone might help me figure out if I did something wrong, or if something is wrong with the latest zfs-linux-lts package.

When I ran a "pacman -Syu", I got the following error:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                                                                                                                        3.5 MiB  3.01M/s 00:01 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 archzfs is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (23) ca-certificates-20160507-1  ca-certificates-cacert-20140824-3  ca-certificates-mozilla-3.23-4  ca-certificates-utils-20160507-1  glib2-2.48.1-1  glibc-2.23-4  gnu-netcat-0.7.1-6  gnupg-2.1.12-2  gssproxy-0.5.0-3  libksba-1.3.4-1
              libseccomp-2.3.1-1  linux-4.5.4-1  linux-headers-4.5.4-1  linux-lts-4.4.10-1  linux-lts-headers-4.4.10-1  man-pages-4.06-1  pacman-mirrorlist-20160516-1  popt-1.16-8  spl-linux-lts-0.6.5.6_4.4.10_1-1  spl-utils-linux-lts-0.6.5.6_4.4.10_1-1
              xfsprogs-4.5.0-1  zfs-linux-lts-0.6.5.6_4.4.10_1-1  zfs-utils-linux-lts-0.6.5.6_4.4.10_1-1

Total Installed Size:  310.81 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -0.03 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(23/23) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                         [##############################################################################################] 100%
(23/23) checking package integrity                                                                                                                       [##############################################################################################] 100%
error: spl-linux-lts: missing required signature
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I keep an Arch VM that's set up the same way as my main machine, so I tried upgrading the VM and got the same problem. I also keep a "blank" VM (nothing done to it past the last step of the installation guide) that I can clone at will to test things like that on a fresh system, and got the same issue again.

On the flip side, I was able to install/update the zfs-linux (non LTS) package just fine in my VM. That tells me I probably set up the archzfs repo correctly, and in turn the only logical explanation for my problem -- in my mind at least -- is that zfs-linux-lts (or at least its dependency spl-linux-lts, since that's what pacman is balking at) was built differently from zfs-linux (which would be odd since they're maintained by the same person).

Ultimately I fixed my issue by setting "SigLevel = Optional TrustedOnly" on the archzfs repo. I decided that was an adequate level of security after reading the pacman.conf man page.

But I'm not clear on why I had to override the global SigLevel to get zfs-linux-lts to install, whereas zfs-linux installs fine.

#2 2016-05-17 08:46:08

ukhippo

Re: Unable to update zfs-linux-lts from unofficial archzfs repo

demizer has NOT migrated away from AUR. There has always been an unofficial repo for pre-built packages (it has just moved from demizerone.com to archzfs.com) and the PKGBUILDs are still in the AUR if you wish to build them yourself.

I don't know how often demizer reads this forum; you're best bet is to add a comment to the spl-linux-lts AUR page flagging up this error so he can investigate and fix.

#3 2016-05-17 12:58:43

Shubby

Re: Unable to update zfs-linux-lts from unofficial archzfs repo

ukhippo wrote:

demizer has NOT migrated away from AUR. There has always been an unofficial repo for pre-built packages (it has just moved from demizerone.com to archzfs.com) and the PKGBUILDs are still in the AUR if you wish to build them yourself.

Oh. Okay then, thanks for the correction smile I guess I misunderstood the hubbub about the repo move.

I don't know how often demizer reads this forum; you're best bet is to add a comment to the spl-linux-lts AUR page flagging up this error so he can investigate and fix.

I did post a comment on the zfs-linux-lts package actually, a few days ago when the package was updated, but didn't hear back. I also edited my comment last night since I fixed the issue, mostly to figure out if the -lts package was built differently, since I'm not sure I needed to fix my setup.

Board footer