You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-13 10:25:09

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Virtualbox modules for custom kernels in the AUR ... comment please

I maintain linux-ck in the AUR as well as virtualbox-ck-modules.  With the recent changes to dkms and the pacman hooks to build for virtualbox-host-dkms I find myself confused as to the value of continuing to provide the pre-compiled modules.  Someone check my math here:

Is this always true? Unless a user overrides the pacman hooks to build/remove, the hard dep of virtualbox-host-dkms WILL build these modules for any installed kernel so long as the corresponding headers package is installed?  If that is true, there will be double copies albeit it different directories of the modules.  So any value gained from using precompiled ones, is nullified in the extra build deps, download time for these deps, build time, etc.  Do I understand this correctly?

Last edited by graysky (2016-03-13 10:26:33)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2016-03-13 17:19:02

ooo

Re: Virtualbox modules for custom kernels in the AUR ... comment please

Looks like the dkms hook first checks /lib/modules for kernels, and then builds the module if headers exist. Therefore it will build modules for any custom kernel, even if it's not installed with pacman. I don't think the hook checks if pre-compiled modules exist, and will build them in any case.

So it seems to me that providing pre-compiled modules would be pointless for now.

#3 2016-03-13 17:20:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@ooo - Yes, that is my take on it as the dep packages are currently written, I just wanted to seek feedback from the community to confirm that my understand is indeed correct.

#4 2016-03-13 17:22:55

FadeMind

#5 2016-05-17 16:56:37

WFV

@ graysky, Do both the guest and host modules need to be installed on host machine? Reason I ask is I had to remove vboxguest-hook, virtualbox-guest-utils, & dkms to clear some systemd.module.load boot-up errors on my Arch host, and have both the ck-guest and host-modules-piledrivers installed and don't have any boot-up errors now + all vbox stuff is working (as it was before) - just curious are the guest modules only required if running Arch as a guest? Thanks.

EDIT: doh! I see the dependencies and have read all this before, sorry got mixed up with boot errors, all is well...

Last edited by WFV (2016-05-17 17:57:15)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

#6 2016-05-17 17:29:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Guest modules are the guest OSs whereas host modules are the hosts.

#7 2016-05-18 00:38:54

Jristz

I just preffer dkms for ALL.
Is easier than just build the modules every single time and spect they work (wich sa few few times dont), also this open the door for more modules.

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

Board footer