You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-16 09:23:55

physicalit

[SOLVED]LibreOffice print option kills xfce session!

Every time I try to print something either if is with ctr + P or by pressing the print menu button in Libre Office, my xfce session gets stocked and the only solution is to move to another terminal (ex. ctr + alt + F3) and kill the xfce session.

In my journalctl I cant find anything regarding this problem, there is no log about this.
What can I do to find where the problem resides?

Edit:
I have reseted the settings and the same issue occurs, I'm using libreoffice-fresh. I have also just installed -sill but the same issue happens.
I'm starting to think is related to cups and how the printer is configured. I'm using cups to connect to a network printer using ipp protocol that requires authentication, printing pdf works grate.

Last edited by physicalit (2016-02-16 17:23:48)

#2 2016-02-16 10:28:45

olive

Re: [SOLVED]LibreOffice print option kills xfce session!

It works for me (with the -still version). What version do you use precisely? Can you post relevant infos about your configuration? Do the issue remain if you resety libreoffice settings to default (remove ~/.config/libreoffice)

#3 2016-02-16 12:58:59

physicalit

this is going from worst in to even worst-er. Now i can't save xls file to pdf, i can't recover lost files when i get prompt for recovery. And i'm sure the list will continue, and as always i can't find any log file regarding libreoffice.

#4 2016-02-16 13:16:24

x33a
Forum Fellow

@physicalit, don't update your original post with content that is supposed to be in a reply. Or, at the very least, make a new post while updating the original post as well. This ensures that the continuity of the thread isn't broken. I had a hard time realizing that you had updated your original post with the information that olive requested.

#5 2016-02-16 13:32:58

physicalit

physicalit wrote:

Every time I try to print something either if is with ctr + P or by pressing the print menu button in Libre Office, my xfce session gets stocked and the only solution is to move to another terminal (ex. ctr + alt + F3) and kill the xfce session.

In my journalctl I cant find anything regarding this problem, there is no log about this.
What can I do to find where the problem resides?

Edit:
I have reseted the settings and the same issue occurs, I'm using libreoffice-fresh. I have also just installed -sill but the same issue happens.
I'm starting to think is related to cups and how the printer is configured. I'm using cups to connect to a network printer using ipp protocol that requires authentication, printing pdf works grate.

The problem isn't related with LibreOffice, I've installed OpenOffice and the same issues persist, the screen freezes when I save to a pdf from Calc, when i try to print from a document the same my entire xfce environment freezes.

#6 2016-02-16 13:54:12

mrunion
Website

So does the same thing happen in either/both/neither of the following situations:

1) Create a new user and try the same operation(s) in XFCE
2) Use a different DE/WM with your user account and a new one

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#7 2016-02-16 16:11:04

physicalit

mrunion wrote:

So does the same thing happen in either/both/neither of the following situations:

1) Create a new user and try the same operation(s) in XFCE
2) Use a different DE/WM with your user account and a new one

OK, so with a new user there is no change, exactly the same, while when using openbox instead of xfwm4 , there is a small change, when i save the LibreOffice to a pdf, the window top bar color changes to blue and the browse windows doesn't disappear anymore before freezing.

Edit:
I tried gnome environment, same issue, again a small difference on how it freezes, but basically same issue. I don't understand why i get this issue my system is only a few days old, i took very much care on what I installed. By now i kind of excluded those possibility's: Desktop Environment, Window Manager, LibreOffice, there is absolutely no event registered regarding this issue that i can find. Where should I look next?

Last edited by physicalit (2016-02-16 16:34:24)

#8 2016-02-16 16:48:40

olive

Difficult to say... If you think the issue is related to cups, can you completely disable cups to see if the issue remain? Anyway, a bug in cups should not freeze Xfce. In fact a bug in any software should not freeze it. Maybe it is a problem with the driver of your graphic card? What driver do you use? which graphic card do you have? I would say try to disable something in xorg.conf (acceleration, etc...) but I am not very competent in this.

#9 2016-02-16 17:19:47

physicalit

Thanks for the help, I finally found where the problem resided and found a workaround. I wasn't using any display manager but instead I configured .xinitrc as mentioned in the arch wiki. Using gdm as my DM solved my problem. Don't know why this issue was happening, but i think this should be mentioned in the wiki for feature reference.

#10 2016-05-19 04:52:05

photobix

Good morning,

I'm sorry to reanimate this thread, but I have the same problem with libreoffice-still and -fresh:
The whole session is killed, after editing a cell in libreoffice-cal or opening the options menu.

My setup is Gnome 3.20 with GDM and yes, I've tried a new user and deleting the .config/libreoffice folder, as well.

I hope, someone can give my a hint.Thank you, photobix

#11 2016-05-19 16:01:33

alex.theoto

Can you post journalctl as root user to see all the log?

EDIT: @photobix: OP marked this post as [SOLVED]. Please open a new one.
                               Also, there was an option to use libre with gtk2 interface but I cannot remember where was it (at ArchLinux). Maybe there is a bug on gtk3

Last edited by alex.theoto (2016-05-19 16:09:23)

Board footer