You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-20 14:49:53

kugismugis

League of Legends perfomance

Hello everyone, recently i succesfully installed and played a few games of league of legends with playonlinux.
My problem is that i get only 20fps with lowest settings, while i had around 80fps on medium with windows.
I did everything i found on archwiki and nothing increased perfomance to a playable level.
I have
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6620G]
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]
screen fetch shows
GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD SUMO (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)

Is there anything i could do to make league of legends playable or is it just not possible with my computer because of emulation?

p.s.
i suppose i'm using mesa drivers. I tryed instaling catalyst with a hope, that it would make league of legends playable but i got this error
==> Validating AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64.tar.bz2 files with sha256sum ...
AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64.tar.bz2: FAILED
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build amdapp-sdk.
==> Restart building amdapp-sdk-nocatalyst ? [y/N]

Last edited by kugismugis (2016-05-20 14:53:27)

#2 2016-05-20 17:25:11

LeRieur

Re: League of Legends perfomance

Upstream did change the file without updating version number according to comments here: amdapp-sdk.

If there has been no issue during downloading, you might just update the PKGBUILD with new hashes or just ignore the check by commenting this line:

echo "${_hash} ${_tarball}" | sha256sum -c || exit 1

Also I've made a package leagueoflegends which is just based on the manual wiki's Wine method.
Wine's methods use more recent versions of wine than PoL, so you might experience better performance.

PS: I don't guarentee the package will work straightforward since I didn't receive feedbacks yet. I did have some trouble to login (with an error like "the server did not respond"), but this did fix it :

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32 winetricks alldlls=default

It's quite a dirty workaround, but it did work. I didn't find yet which library is in fault.

#3 2016-05-20 17:27:47

kugismugis

LeRieur wrote:

Upstream did change the file without updating version number according to comments here: amdapp-sdk.

If there has been no issue during downloading, you might just update the PKGBUILD with new hashes or just ignore the check by commenting this line:

echo "${_hash} ${_tarball}" | sha256sum -c || exit 1

Also I've made a package leagueoflegends which is just based on the manual wiki's Wine method.
Wine's methods use more recent versions of wine than PoL, so you might experience better performance.

PS: I don't guarentee the package will work straightforward since I didn't receive feedbacks yet. I did have some trouble to login (with an error like "the server did not respond"), but this did fix it :

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32 winetricks alldlls=default

It's quite a dirty workaround, but it did work. I didn't find yet which library is in fault.

So i just type these commands to terminal and thats it?
How do i apply your leagueoflegends patch?
Sry. im new to arch, just started learning.

#4 2016-05-20 17:50:18

LeRieur

Everything in its time. First, let's focus on the install of the catalyst driver.

Follow this guide here for installing amdapp-sdk package: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … g_packages.

Before running makepkg command (step 4), edit the PKGBUILD with your favorite text editor and comment the line 92 (add a # at the beginning) like this:

#echo "${_hash} ${_tarball}" | sha256sum -c || exit 1

Then you can run:

makepkg -si

Last edited by LeRieur (2016-05-20 17:52:23)

#5 2016-05-20 18:30:36

kugismugis

LeRieur wrote:

Everything in its time. First, let's focus on the install of the catalyst driver.

Follow this guide here for installing amdapp-sdk package: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … g_packages.

Before running makepkg command (step 4), edit the PKGBUILD with your favorite text editor and comment the line 92 (add a # at the beginning) like this:

#echo "${_hash} ${_tarball}" | sha256sum -c || exit 1

Then you can run:

makepkg -si

[archuser@archpc tarpackages]$ ls
AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0.130.136-GA-linux64.sh  AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.136-GA-linux64.tar.bz2
[archuser@archpc tarpackages]$ makepkg -si
==> ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist.
sad

#6 2016-05-20 18:37:51

LeRieur

Alright, run this:

curl -O https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/amdapp-sdk.tar.gz
tar -xvf amdapp-sdk.tar.gz
cd amdapp-sdk
ls

If the PKGBUILD is there, you can comment the culprit line and then run makepkg -si.

#7 2016-05-20 19:09:19

kugismugis

LeRieur wrote:

Alright, run this:

curl -O https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/amdapp-sdk.tar.gz
tar -xvf amdapp-sdk.tar.gz
cd amdapp-sdk
ls

If the PKGBUILD is there, you can comment the culprit line and then run makepkg -si.

i give up. This is too damn dificult to me, and i'm too dumb. I guess ill just save up and buy windows. After issuing that command amdapp-sdk folder was created in the folder in which i downloaded and exctracted that tar.bz2 package. Then cd'ed to amdapp-sdk then after ls i got
[archuser@archpc amdapp-sdk]$ ls
PKGBUILD  amd.icd  amdapp-sdk-docs.install  amdapp-sdk-nocatalyst.install  amdapp-sdk-opencv.install  amdapp-sdk.conf  amdapp-sdk.install  amdapp-sdk.sh  src
wrote makepkg -si, hit enter, and got
==> Validating AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64.tar.bz2 files with sha256sum ...
Again... Probably ill need to finish university IT degree first, to start understanding even the slightest bits of how linux and arch in particular works hmm
Thanks for the help though, i appreciate your help smile

#8 2016-05-20 20:49:22

LeRieur

Arch might not be the best distribution to start with Linux. But you seems to successfully have installed it, setup the internet connection and have a graphical interface. So that's a good point.
I understand your frustration since you might have the feeling of just copy-paste commands. But you'll have to be patient because this is certainly not the first problem that you will encounter on Arch or Linux in general. And you will gradually be more confident using it with time.

kugismugis wrote:

wrote makepkg -si, hit enter, and got
Again...

It didn't work because you forgot to comment the line 92 (causing the error) in the PKGBUILD. But even if you did this, you might still have some problems according to the comments here: https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/amdap … mments=all. So let's drop the idea of installing the catalyst package. Maybe you should give a try to the catalyst-total mentioned by the wiki.

Catalyst packages are no longer offered in the official repositories. In the past, Catalyst has been dropped from official Arch support because of dissatisfaction with the quality and speed of development.

Do not expect AMD proprietary drivers to work easily. What you experience here is just that AMD made some change in its source (without updating the version which is bad practice). The maintainer of the package did not yet update it. That's why it doesn't work straightforward and needs some fixes.

Also, you might want to ask for support in:
- in this post: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill which I think is the (un)official discussion for AMD proprietary driver support
- in this channel on IRC: #archlinux-newbie (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … nofficial/)

Last edited by LeRieur (2016-05-20 20:50:47)

Board footer