You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-22 12:53:42

jdgordon01

Volume jumping randomly when headphones connected/disconnected.

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that this is the first time I've had much cause to mess around with alsa or audio in Linux in general, so forgive me for my ignorance here.

I've been having some strange issues with audio on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series with a Conexant-CX6008 controller. Initially I was unable to get any sound through my headphones - alsamixer didn't even recognise that a headphone channel existed, and didn't recognise when I plugged anything into the headphone jack.

I was able to solve this by opening hdajackretask, ticking "Show Unconnected Pins", and overriding the supposedly unconnected pin 0x18 to be my headphone channel. I applied a boot override which has mostly fixed things. I now have a headphone channel in alsamixer, and audio output switches between this and the speaker when I plug in or unplug my headphones.

The only problem is that every time I plug them in or unplug them, the master volume changes for some reason. And not in a predictable way. If I turn the master volume down while my headphones are in, unplugging the headphones makes it jump up to ~80%. If I plug my headphones back in, it will sometimes revert to the volume I previously set, and other times it will stay at the heightened master volume level, or jump to something completely different. I haven't figured out exactly what the pattern is.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? Ideally I'd like the master volume to just remain constant.

I also have pulseaudio running - let me know if there's any other info I should provide to help debug this. smile

Board footer